Lobo Football fans celebrate after a UNM touchdown on Thursday, Aug. 1, 2016 at University Stadium. Fans will now be able to drink up to four alcoholic beverages at select UNM sporting events. 

First game with alcohol sales goes off without a hitch

From September 9

UNM Athletics and other organizations around New Mexico are providing sports fans of a certain age with a new way to enjoy the game, with the start of alcohol sales at home games for various sports.

The decision comes amid a national trend as many schools are adopting the policy of alcohol sales at college sporting events, with New Mexico State University having started sales last season. UNM will have beer and wine on the menu.

Just a few years ago, 32 collegiate stadiums sold alcohol at their sporting events, according to USA Today. CBS reported in July that 40 schools will be in on the practice this fall, including UNM.

UNM Athletics Director Paul Krebs said he supports the decision and believes it will have positive effects.

“We felt that it would help attract and retain a crowd,” Krebs said. “There’s a potential for revenue from the alcohol sales. Perhaps as important as anything in the research we’ve done, talking to other schools that have moved forward with the sale of alcohol have found less issues with fan behavior. There’s less binge drinking that occurs pregame and there’s less disruption in the stands during the game.”

UNM joins five other schools in the Mountain West Conference that sell alcohol at sporting events.

Krebs said early reports from UNM’s season-opening football game correlated with those from other schools, indicating less disruption in the stands and more people staying until the end of the game.

The decision to sell alcohol at UNM’s stadiums has found approval with many in the student body.

“I think alcohol sales at UNM will be good. All the big football campuses around the country do it, and our regional schools, like Texas Tech, have alcohol sales going on, so why not us?” said Eddie Medina, a UNM student. “Especially if they keep it in a controlled environment, have a good time and bring more fans and students.”

The policy for purchasing alcohol at UNM’s stadiums will be highly regulated.

According to the Athletics Department’s website, fans over 21 can only purchase two drinks per person each time they visit concession stands, and may only consume four drinks in total over the course of the event.

Fans must also provide valid identification twice to purchase alcohol, once to obtain a wristband signifying they are 21 or older, and a second time showing both their ID and the wristband when purchasing drinks. Vertical ID’s will not be accepted.

Krebs said so far, the initial sales of alcohol have produced positive results.

“We’re still waiting for the revenue numbers to come in, but by and large it went very well the first game,” Krebs said. “We’re anxious to move forward with it and look to sell alcohol at our soccer venues in the coming weeks.”