Thrice frontman Dustin Kensure opens the band's first show in Albuquerque in over five years on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016 at Sunshine Theater. 

Concert Review: Thrice brings the energy to Sunshine with older hits

Alternative rock band Thrice threw down at Sunshine Theater on Tuesday to an electric crowd of fans both old and new.

The band, known for their mid-2000s album releases, are currently embarking on a nationwide tour to promote their latest record, “To Be Everywhere is To Be Nowhere.”

Thrice made waves in the music scene after the release of their third album, “The Artist in the Ambulance,” in 2003. The band’s melodic post-hardcore style at the time was pivotal in developing the genre, and Thrice found themselves at the forefront of the movement alongside acts Circa Survive and Brand New, among others.

The band — back from a three-year hiatus — recorded its ninth album “To Be Everywhere…” earlier this year for a midsummer release. The album features more mainstream, alternative pop rock vibes in contrast to earlier metal, folk and post-hardcore roots.

Tuesday night was energetic right from the get-go. Emo rock group La Dispute opened and gripped the crowd with their fast paced, brutal, spoken-word like songs.

Concert goers did not hesitate to mosh. In fact, it seemed rude not to, considering how abrasive the music became so quickly. Fortunately, La Dispute reciprocated the crowd’s energy twofold.

Thrice came on next to a passionate rendition of “Hurricane,” the chorus of which almost seems written for live performances. “Silhouette” was performed thereafter to an ecstatic audience longing for older songs.

“To Be Everywhere…” is a highly refined album and exemplifies just how much the band has matured over their career. However, I couldn’t help but notice the crowd lulling during the middle of the show. Songs off the record just aren’t as heavy or as passionately delivered as older material.

The omission of tracks off the “The Alchemy Index,” specifically the “Fire” and “Earth” portions of the double album, was disappointing. Those songs are technically complex, make for fantastic openers/closers, and spur crowds to move in an almost uniquely “Thrice” fashion.

Be that as it may, the members of Thrice were not shy about moving about on stage and interacting with the crowd. The band played 20 songs almost effortlessly, which is no small feat considering how grandiose Thrice’s songs can get. Fans chanted, danced and moshed for the better part of 100 minutes.

The band closed with fan favorites “The Artist in the Ambulance” and “Deadbolt” to the satisfaction of a revitalized audience.

Bassist Eddie Breckenridge gave some insight on the recording process of “To Be Everywhere is To Be Nowhere,” noting a more individualistic process of songwriting compared to the band’s usual collectivist style.

“We always trade or share little recorded demo ideas we have, and that’s how the process usually begins. We select a couple, or rather a lot, of the ones we think sound good and build those into songs,” he said. “I guess the only big difference with this record is that the process was more cerebral at times. We would sit and think about the songs instead of jamming them out, and when something sounded right we would send the files to each other.”

As for the tour, Breckenridge was elated to be back on the road, saying that a change in format is helping to make it an enjoyable experience.

“We’re doing 3 week tours — here and there — instead of months at a time. It’s always fun, but it’s easy to get sick and stuff. Our shows are pretty physical so I always end up sore a lot. But everyone is stoked to travel and see old friends we’ve made after years of touring. And the crowds have been amazing.”

Audrin Baghaie is a culture reporter and concert reviewer for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AudrinTheOdd.