UNM receives grant to train Native educators

UNM is among 20 Universities and colleges across the nation that will receive the 2016 Indian Professional Development Award.

The $344,325 grant comes from the U.S Department of Education and is a part of UNM’s American Indian Professional Educators’ Collaborative.

AIPEC is a four-year project designed to increase the number of Native American educators in New Mexico, according to the abstract of the proposal.

The grant was submitted by Dr. Christine Sims, an assistant professor in the Department of Language, Literacy and Sociocultural Studies.

UNM will recruit 12 participants from the College of Education who will be trained and will receive assistance in state licensing and financial support for graduation and job placement services.

Upon graduation, participants will serve in areas with large populations of Native American students.

Sims said having Native American educators in areas with a high density of Native American students has a myriad of benefits for the students and community.

Sims also noted that teachers familiar with the language and cultural background of their students are able to address specific academic needs.

“To increase the number of Native American teachers is a huge goal,” Catherine N. Montoya, a graduate student and the Student Programs Specialist for Native American Studies said.

Montoya also said supporting cultural differences is one way for faculty to foster success.

“If more faculty allowed their students to bring cultural background and indigenous knowledge into the classroom and the curriculum that would give students who are interested in education the resources to succeed,” she said.

“The ultimate goal should be to incorporate indigenous, cultural knowledge back into the education system.” She went on to say doing so gives Native American students a chance to be proud of who they are and of their culture.

Dr. Wendy Greyeyes, an assistant professor in Native American Studies, noted that “most students don’t get the privilege of having a Native American teacher,” but that those who do see great benefits.

“Native American teachers inject the pride a student should feel and feeling that is necessary for a student to succeed,” Greyeyes said.

AIPEC was created to address underrepresentation of Native American teachers and administrators in the state’s schools, especially in areas with high a proportion of Native American students.

As of now there’s an “imbalance between the number of Native American teachers and school administrators compared to the number of Native (American) students enrolled in public schools,” Sims said.

The New Mexico Department of Education estimates that, of all teachers in the state, only two percent are American Indian. Meanwhile, American Indian students make up about 11 percent of students in New Mexico.

According to a 2015 cohort conducted by the New Mexico Department of Education, the graduation rates of American Indian students is nearly six percentage points lower than the state average, making them fourth-worst out of all student categories.

The same cohort reported American Indian students graduation rates in the Albuquerque district to be 16 percent lower than the average, putting American Indian students last in graduation rate among the other ethnic groups analyzed.

“The need remains high for more Native American teachers, especially teachers who have a vested interest in teaching within their own communities,” Sims said.

Upon graduation, recipients will serve in school districts with high numbers of Native American students. Some key districts from which the project will recruit are Taos Pueblo, Jemez pueblo, the Navajo community of To’hajiilee and Albuquerque Public Schools.

“Native American teachers provide the role models that (Native American) students need to see and engage with as part of their educational experiences so that they, too, will be successful and motivated to complete their education,” Sims said.

Brendon Gray is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @notgraybrendon.