ASUNM Election Guide

Wednesday is Election Day for the Associated Students of UNM. Nearly 40 candidates are vying for 10 senate seats. 

If elected, they will serve for two semesters as a senator in the undergraduate student governing body, and all undergraduate students will have the opportunity to vote for up to 10 candidates to represent them beginning in the spring.

The Daily Lobo has compiled a brief guide for the candidates after we reached out to them and asked them what they would value and what they would bring to ASUNM if elected.

Some candidates did not provide a response by press time. For them, as with all the candidates, the Daily Lobo provided their year and major as indicated by the UNM Online Directory.

Corrigan Newsome

Year: Junior

Major: Architecture

Thomas Miller

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics

Values transparency, loyalty and persistence. Miller believes safety is a serious issue on campus. The thing he is proudest of is recently interviewing for an internship with a law firm.

Tom Stivers

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science

Values being upfront about problems so that solutions can be created. Given the opportunity, he would ask UNM President Bob Frank why he is leaving his office in May. Also believes ASUNM Senate should be less homogenous in makeup.

Timothy Jenkins

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business Administration

Justin Hight

Year: Freshman

Major: Business Administration

Dan Malczynski

Year: Junior

Major: Biology

Mason Martinez

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business Administration

Values work ethic and wants student fees to be spent responsibly. If elected, Martinez would ask UNM President Bob Frank how he is pushing equality on campus. He is proudest of joining Greek life.

Kenneth Robinson

Year: Sophomore

Major: History

Mohammed Shawabkeh

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biology

Fawwaz Lawal

Year: Junior

Major: Biology

His goal as a senator would be to ensure that student voices are heard. He said that UNM is diverse, and the key is to support that diversity. Previous experience with ASUNM includes volunteering with Student Special Events on events like Fiestas.

Kyle Wrasman

Year: Sophomore

Major: Chemical Engineering

Jackson Wawrzynski

Year: Freshman

Major: Business Administration

Jared Patrick Lucero

Year: Freshman

Major: Business Administration

He has experience in speech and debate, and is passionate about youth involvement and athletics. His goal as a senator would be to bring the UNM community together. He has no prior experience with ASUNM, but participated in student government in high school.

Jared Morris

Year: Senior

Major: Electrical Engineering

Morris says he would be interested in working on finances and managing student fees as a senator. He said the key to being a leader is standing up for what you believe in while acknowledging you are a small part of the whole team. He said he has no experience with ASUNM, but that he provides an outside perspective in that regard.

Carlos Bejarano

Year: Sophomore

Major: Athletic Training

Catriona Byrne

Year: Sophomore

Major: English Studies

Stetson McGahey

Year: Sophomore

Major: Civil Engineering

Believes the best way to market the University is through social media and funding clubs. McGahey wants to be involved in finances so he can help student organizations grow. His experience with ASUNM includes attending budget hearings for clubs.

Mark Basista

Year: Freshman

Major: Civil Engineering

Parker Padilla

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business Administration

Alex Nocella

Year: Senior

Major: History

Focused on improving security, the debate surrounding “stun guns” on campus, and facilitating student-parent academic success. He is interested in working with student veterans, and said his military experience shapes his approach to leadership.

Jordon Fulton

Year: Sophomore

Major: Criminology

Believes the best way to market UNM is its history as the flagship university of New Mexico. Has leadership experience from being involved with ROTC, and is interested in working on the Finance Committee.

Jonathan Sanchez

Year: Sophomore

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Focused on athletics, student organizations, improving Wi-Fi and campus safety, in that order. Believes the best way to market UNM is by making sure that athletics are successful and well-supported. He is interested in being on the Finance Committee.

Theo Pirone-Aufrichtig

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science

Studying political science and German with a focus on public policy and foreign relations. Focused on transparency. Pirone-Aufrichtig said the best way to market the University is by expanding art and science programs, and that leadership should rely on integrity and compassion.

Román Harvey

Year: Freshman

Major: Biology

Hannah Williams

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biology

Seeking re-election. Williams said she is driven, passionate and has good time management skills. Her goal as a senator is to reach out to students for their input. Believes the biggest problem for undergrads is not knowing what resources are available to them.

Jacob Stearns

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science

Focused on equality, transparency and community. His goal as a senator would be to ensure that ASUNM communicates better with the student body. He said to make campus safer there needs to be a division between Central Avenue and UNM.

Sarah Moore

Year: Senior

Major: Political Science

Seeking re-election. Her goal as a senator is to promote diversity in those who run for Senate. She said the key to a safer campus is educating freshman about security, and believes the best way to connect ASUNM to undergrads is conducting outreach workshops through resource centers on campus.

Noah Brooks

Year: Junior

Major: Economics

Currently chairs the Steering and Rules Committee. Says he is inspired by how students are impacted by ASUNM’s work. Believes there needs to be a stronger push to connect with commuter students. His goal for another term as senator would be to make ASUNM Senate more diverse.

Denton Carman

Year: Junior

Major: Business Administration

Priorities would include working to increase security in R-Lot and redistributing ASUNM funds fairly among the different student organizations.

Garet Elkins

Year: Freshman

Major: Economics

Antonio Santiago

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication

Brei Garcia

Year: Junior

Major: Communication

Involved in Students for Life, Lobo Catholic and working at the UNM Athletic Department. Wants to increase program funding for UNM athletics, improve parking for students, staff and visitors, work to create more reliable and faster Wi-Fi, increase safety for all, and support student organizations in receiving funding.

Elena Garcia

Year: Sophomore

Says she wants to help see growth in student involvement and athletics. Believes when students are able to do what they love and incorporate that into their studies, they are successful. If elected, would be willing to hear opinions from all across the table in order to find the best solutions to issues, such as Wi-Fi and parking.

Matthew Crawford

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology

Francine Briones

Year: Junior

Major: Business

Spent last semester on an internship with the Walt Disney Company. Became involved with ASUNM through Emerging Lobo Leaders and Advanced Lobo Leaders. Says she will work to improve Wi-Fi, parking, safety and to promote athletics.

Kaylie Huizenga

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication

Plans to prioritize inclusion, engagement and fiscal responsibility. Also wants to engage students who do not feel connected to the University. Said she plans to work on ASUNM's goal of fostering a safer campus by working closely with different resource centers. Strongly believes that campus safety should be the top priority of all UNM student leaders.

Cathy Cook is a news reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Cathy_Daily.