Album Review: 'Eternally Even' a psychedelic trip into tranquility

“Sun’s out, not a thought about rain. No trace of tears or pain, I hope you’re having a wonderful life,” croons Jim James on the eponymous track of his second solo album, “Eternally Even.”

The song, much like the whole record, is a breezy, psychedelic serenade embellished with bright keys, savory bass lines and impetuous lyrics that wrap listeners up in the grooviest cyclone of 2016.

James is most widely known as the frontman of the rock group My Morning Jacket. An alternative take on alternative music, My Morning Jacket grew upon a passionate fan base that revered the band’s versatile take on genre, and their ability to fluently change styles at the drop of a hat.

Now a year after MMJ’s latest album, “The Waterfall,” James brings us a luscious look into his sound when not accompanied by a full band. “Eternally Even” is a great album and, despite not taking as many risks as expected, it will be seen on some 2016 Top 10 Albums lists for certain.

At a glance, it’s hard to pin down what this record has to offer. The album art is a skittish depiction of James’ face, dizzily glaring with blank eyes over a blood red backdrop. Considering how sporadic My Morning Jacket’s album releases are, I didn’t know where James would begin or end with “Eternally Even.”

Which, I assume, is a good place to be as an artist. It turns out that’s not a problem. All the songs on the album share the same warmth and mellow psychedelia that is introduced in the first track.

In turn, the argument that “every song sounds the same” is very relevant here. The tracks are a revitalized, post-modern take on The Doors’ energy, morphed with a certain ‘90s trip-hop bounce that weaves between James’ intoxicated, callous lulls.

For me, it’s a weak argument. “Eternally Even” offers 41 minutes of stoic, heavy pieces of indie psych that requires effort to find elsewhere. Songs stumble into each other without truly ending, instrumentals are so stretched out and vast you wouldn’t realize they were separate tracks altogether.

It’s astonishingly easy to get lost in “Eternally Even.” Every inch of every track is laced with these pulsing, ethereal, hallucinatory grooves. The kinds that send listeners off to space on a whim, perhaps due in part to how genuine the album is. I’ve known James’ solo work for a very short time and already it’s apparent that his artistry is exceptional.

What I do wish is that James took more risks. It’s understandable, as is the nature of a solo record. However, this album has the potential to be much more than just one long, continuous scene.

Be that as it may, there’s enough content to sink your teeth into. “True Nature” and “The World’s Smiling Now” are my favorites so far. Both emanate tranquility so naturally, it feels as though James isn’t trying.

“Eternally Even” creates a comfortable and serene paracosm that I wouldn’t mind spending the rest of the year in. Despite its safe nature and insistent vibe, it is an album worth coming back to, even if just to briefly dip one's feet back into its vivid water.

Audrin Baghaie is a culture reporter and album reviewer for the Daily Lobo, he can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or Twitter @AudrinTheOdd