Thousands of ABQ women march against Trump

Susan Schuurman woke up on the first day of the Trump presidency to snow, wind and hail. But later she found herself bathed in sunlight as the Women’s March began in downtown Albuquerque.

“It’s like God was speaking,” Schuurman said. “She was blessing our efforts today.”

An estimated 10,000 people came out for the demonstration in Civic Plaza on Saturday to hear a list of speakers, including City Councilor Diane Gibson.

“I am so proud and honored and humbled to be in your presence,” Gibson said. “This is just half of us, because we sent the other half to Washington.”

Before she continued, Gibson said she had a confession to make.

“I have been feeling a little off — just a little distracted — lately,” she said. “It’s caused by this not-so-subtle undercurrent that’s been wafting around and hitting us upside the head, of looming dread.”

Gibson said that at 65 years old, she has witnessed many of the major accomplishments women have made.

“The ‘herstory’ that we have made, over the past 50 years and even before that, to codify the rights of women and to work for social justice,” she said. “And now it feels like we’re in a little bit of jeopardy — but I have hope.”

When marginalization of any kind occurs in our country, Gibson said, there is a backlash to those offenses led by “a mother or a grandmother or a sister or a feminist man.”

“So we will stand together in solidarity against attacks on any of us,” Gibson said. “I have boundless hope. I’m not tired, and I’m ready for the fight.”

The day brought a multitude of voices to Civic Plaza, from activist speakers and local government to drum circles and feminist covers of classic songs by the “Ragin’ Grannies,” a group that has spent decades advocating for women’s rights.

The crowd was in near constant cheers with many homemade signs held high, bearing messages like “People before profits” and “Nasty women unite.”

On a day when similar peaceful marches were held in major cities all around the country and the world — some with crowds numbering in the hundreds of thousands — there was no real confrontations in Albuquerque, the rally going smoothly for those in attendance.

Schuurman, outreach coordinator for the Albuquerque Center for Peace and Justice, described the outcome of the rally with four words: uplifting, inspiring, amazing and empowering.

More than anything, Schuurman said this demonstration should let women everywhere know that they’re not alone.

“This rally shows that, most people are not in agreement with the policies that we’ve been hearing from the current administration, as of yesterday,” she said.

Schuurman said these suggested policies — which include bans on Muslims, lack of refugee compassion and the border wall — are “terribly negative” by referencing a “carnage on America.”

“This is the beginning of a movement; we are not going to give up and we are going to organize — that’s really the key,” she said. “We can’t be angry or sad. We have to organize.”

Schuurman believes the Women’s March shows power in numbers when compared with other protests around the country, noting that many people who showed up are not regular activists and may have never been to a protest before.

“The power behind all these numbers is the unity we’re feeling,” she said. “We have come together in an unprecedented way.”

Karen Nicholson said she traveled to the march from Colorado with a group of friends to express their solidarity with women and oppressed minorities together.

Nicholson, who was around for decades-old women’s rights struggles, said the current American climate feels a little like, “Here we go again.”

Nicholson especially appreciated a question posed to the audience by one of the speakers: What are we going to do tomorrow?

“We have to be able to speak up and follow through,” she said. “We just have to be vigilant all the time, kind and vigilant.”

For Nicholson, that includes contacting local representatives and holding them accountable as well as speaking up to individuals and not letting hateful speech pass.

“We can’t go back,” Nicholson said, recollecting a time long-forgotten for many but not for her.

Casey Hall, a protester, said he is upset about the election outcome, but was encouraged by the rally turnout and would like to help change the direction of the country.

“I’m hoping that we can stay energized and keep the movement going,” Hall said. “That this isn’t just — a day.”

Hall said it is important, as a man, to support and march for women.

“The only way we can lift up women is if everyone works together,” he said. “And when women are doing better, everyone does better.”

Brenda Gossage brought her two children, a boy and girl, to the Women’s March.

“I’m here out of the appreciation for the women before me and I’m here for myself and for the future of both of my children,” she said. “That women have equality and the right to their bodies.”

Gossage said the thousands of supporters makes the future encouraging but, at the same time, she wishes more women had voted.

“It’s also a bit sad that we feel we have to do this,” she said. “ We shouldn’t have to do this, this was already done by the women before us — we shouldn’t still be fighting to protect our rights, that should be an issue of the past.”

Gossage said she was proud to be among all the men, women and children who came out to share their support, describing the result as “comforting,” and glad she didn’t stay home due to possible inclement weather.

“I thought, ‘I’m actually going to be more uncomfortable at home than I would be down here,’” she said. “I couldn’t just sit there, knowing this was going on — unless we get out and show our thoughts, our feelings — how is one to know?”

Gossage said, before the rally, she and her daughter had a conversation about supporting women’s rights and equality.

“We need to vote this way, we need to walk this way,” Gossage said, looking down to her children. “We need to teach this way.”

Matthew Reisen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MReisen88.