Members of nearly 30 UNM community organizations showcased their work to New Mexico state representatives and patrons of the state capitol building, on Monday, Jan. 30, 2017 in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Why University departments and groups attended UNM Day

UNM Day at the state capital found many student departments and organizations making the trip to Santa Fe to advocate for University issues.

Acting UNM President Chaouki Abdallah said the annual occasion affords the University an opportunity to promote its many contributions to local and statewide communities.

“Every year we have one day, reserved solely for UNM tables and exhibits to showcase our schools, campuses and programs on the first floor of our state’s capitol building,” Abdallah said in a statement. “Thank you to all of the students, staff and faculty who are representing UNM, and showing New Mexico’s citizens the far-reaching impact of our University.”

The Daily Lobo visited Santa Fe to check in with several organizations present, and ask why they thought it was important to be present at the Roundhouse.

Kyle Biederwolf, president, Associated Students of UNM

“The Lottery Scholarship continues to be the main concern for students at the University of New Mexico. The decisions that our lawmakers make in this session will affect the future of New Mexico students, and we hope that our visit today will show legislators how important a solvent solution is.”

ASUNM officials said certain portions of the scholarship’s funding are in danger of expiring this fiscal year and, as a result, UNM students will be advocating for the renewal of the liquor excise tax, which has been a critical source of funding for the lottery scholarship.

Both UNM and NMSU will be pushing for a “gap year” period that a student could voluntarily utilize if they wish to “take time for themselves” before entering into a higher education institution in the state. 

Rodney Martinez, chief financial and administration officer, UNM Cancer Center

“We are designated as the state of New Mexico’s official cancer center. We were designated by that in 1971 (by the state legislature). We actually see the state appropriation as a result of that designation, so it’s very important for us to be here — to say thank you to our legislature for their support and also give them a report as to what we’re doing with that appropriation. Obviously I think there is a concern with the challenge in the economy again, reduced revenue. Higher education is a target for reductions, so it’s very important for us to make sure we understand that. (With) the appropriations and the support we receive from them, they are getting a return from that investment. It’s very much our mission to be the leader in research and be the leader in treatment.”

Alan Dominguez, graduate project assistant, Center for Native American Health

“It’s very painful for us, as indigenous people, because of the adverse effects of health today. So we’re trying to remedy that by being present here. It’s also important for us to share information with new incoming leaders. We are able to do that today just to talk with them about what our programs are and what we do here at UNM, but also outreach to the indigenous communities around New Mexico.”

Len Malry, student services manager, College of Nursing

“I think it’s definitely important to show the University of New Mexico’s programs; that there is a depth as well as a breadth of programs. As a flagship University, you can pretty much find any program that you might want to study in. We offer that and I think it’s important for us to show the quality of our program. In that instance I think it’s important to be visible, with the legislators and those decision makers who certainly hold the purse strings as well — that’s important. We have over 850 students right now, and for us to produce graduates that can serve the entire state, certainly there’s a lot of shortage in the medical field, from healthcare fields in the rural areas, as well as the city.”

John Byram, director, UNM Press

“I think it’s important that people know all the different things UNM is involved in. I think everybody is nervous about the state budget and University budget. Those are primary things but it’s always important just to be aware and to participate and let people know what’s happening. I think the main thing is if you don’t participate you really are in the dark. It’s good to get out and talk to some people, see what people are saying and hope to have some input in decisions that are made.”

Phoenix Baldez, graduate student, Department of Nuclear Engineering

“I think that the STEM fields are something that our legislators should all be supporting, everyone from Senator Martin Heinrich down to just simple state legislators. They all need to know the science education that’s happening and then the science itself that we are then going into. A lot of us end up working at Sandia and Los Alamos, so it’s important for the people in the government to understand that kind of pipeline that happens between education and the industry around New Mexico.”

Tamara Williams, communications and marketing manager, UNM School of Law

“We’re New Mexico’s only law school, so many of our legislators are alumni and we’re proud of our alumni. We’re proud of our law school, so we feel it’s important to have a presence here. It’s also for recruiting prospective students and we think our presence here is important.”

Jorge Garcia, senior program manager, El Centro De La Raza

“It’s important that we are visible and that it’s understood that we’re part of the larger community. The other reason, too, is there are several bills that can affect UNM and we have to have a presence here. One is about the core curriculum; the other is about the Lottery Scholarship. We hope the bill on the legislature for the Lottery Scholarship passes so we can focus on supporting some of the groups that are more disadvantaged. It’s important that we’re here and that we’re part of the process.”

Matthew Reisen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MReisen88.