A free couch sits curbside on Stanford Drive and Silver Avenue near Main Campus. Free Stuff ABQ is a Facebook community which thrives on the reuse and recycling of used, unwanted goods.

"Free Stuff ABQ" Facebook group makes it easy to give and receive

UNM student Simon Walker has a vision: if you need something, you should get it. If you have something you don’t need, you should give it away.

Back in December, Walker started the Facebook group “Free Stuff ABQ” and by February, the group has collected nearly 2,000 members.

The group allows members to post on their page, requesting items they may need or items they are willing to give away. The only catch: no money.

“The idea is, you give stuff and you also receive stuff,” Walker said. “It’s not a one to one thing, it’s a community thing, we all look after each other.”

Walker said one of the unique things about “Free Stuff ABQ” is its Facebook platform, allowing you to see the person’s profile, including a picture of them and even what friends you share in common.

“There’s something a bit more personable,” he said.

Through Facebook, “Free Stuff ABQ” also offers a speed and visibility to the art of giving that you can’t find elsewhere.

“When you put a couch on a corner, only the people who drive past it see it,” he said. “When you put something on Facebook, it’s anybody who connects with that.”

Walker said “Free Stuff ABQ” bridges a gap lacking in social media, personal human interaction — citing that he has met some great people through giving and receiving off the site.

“People like to help each other. There’s a reward in helping a stranger,” he said.

Walker said it provides a really good platform for students, particularly for international and new students.

“When you arrive you have nothing, as a student you need your basic stuff,” he said.

Walker’s vision for “Free Stuff ABQ” is that students and community members join, sharing things they no longer need and asking for things they do need, he said, adding that, while there is no political agenda, the idea of giving is a welcome concept today.

“There is something about recycling things for free and not asking for money or trade, which is somehow at odds with our ‘system of greed’ that we have,” he said. “It’s enabling a community to come together and say ‘we are going to look after each other when we need something’.”

Candace Lopez, who has been a member of “Free Stuff ABQ” for a little over a month, has given away firewood and looks forward to giving more when spring cleaning comes around.

Lopez said she hasn’t received anything yet, mainly because everything goes so quickly, but that keeps her engaged and happy to see its success in the community.

“It’s valuable because it promotes a sense of community, a way to reduce-reuse-recycle, and the old ‘one man’s junk is another man’s treasure,’” she said. “Especially when it comes to spring cleaning it makes purging feel a lot more personal with community impact.”

Walker said the site doesn’t just revolve around items, however, as people can GIVE or NEED help or assistance as well, as long as the “goal isn’t to attain capital.”

For example, posts have said “NEED: somewhere to grow food” or “NEED: a mountain bike buddy.”

“I think all humans have the capacity to be good if you put them in the right situation,” Walker said. “All humans find it rewarding, helping people out.”

As the sole administrator of the site, Walker keeps track of misuse, mainly trying to bid or barter with money.

“There’s nothing wrong with monetary exchanges or trade exchanges, but it’s just to keep the ethos pure,” he said. “Because, as soon as you allow that in, you could have people bidding for stuff.”

Other things Walker looks out for is people putting advertisements, inappropriate comments or “any kind of hate speech or trolling,” which is immediately removed.

Walker, who originally got the inspiration from a similar group in Berlin, takes no credit and believes “an idea is worthless unless other people fall into that” — something that has definitely happened here in Albuquerque.

“The important question is not where this couldn’t happen,” he said. “The fact that it does happen here is a very beautiful thing and something we should be proud of.”

Walker doesn’t think the group’s success in Albuquerque is a fluke, believing it has to do a lot with community members and median wealth.

“People who have less money are more happy to reuse things,” he said. “There is a sense of community, that we look out for each other in Albuquerque. I think a lot of people agree with that.”

As for the future, “Free Stuff ABQ” could one day become a platform against food waste, Walker said, where restaurants, shops and small businesses can post online at the end of the day about “free food for whoever comes and gets it,” providing a way to reduce wasted food.

As for the act of giving and receiving, the sky’s the limit, Walker said.

“When I say ‘It’s a platform for unconditional giving,’ that wouldn’t work unless people want to give unconditionally,” he said.

Matthew Reisen is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MReisen88.