ASUNM Election: Brooks wants to be microphone for students

Junior economics major Noah Brooks never saw his ASUNM experience as a way to build a politically-centered resume. He simply wants to advocate for students in a way that is fair and comprehensive.

That passion has now led him to be one of four candidates running for ASUNM president for the 2017-18 academic year.

“Politics comes along with the connotation that there are different sides of the aisle,” Brooks said. “In student advocacy there is only one goal, and that is to make sure every student on campus is represented.”

Unlike the other candidates in the race, Brooks – who is running with Sally Midani – hasn’t been at UNM for his entire collegiate career. He transferred to the University as a sophomore from out of state, and became involved with the Associated Students of UNM, the undergraduate student governing body.

He has found a niche there, having served as a senator, chairman of the Steering and Rules Committee, and now president pro tempore, as well as being the Senate representative for ASUNM's Governmental Affairs agency. 

A running theme among this year’s candidates for president has been ensuring that all undergraduates find a home at UNM through involvement and accessibility of resources, as well as being aware of ASUNM and the what it offers.

Beyond that, Brooks and Midani also have some specific goals. Among them are streamlining the advisement process, combating sexual assault on campus and providing free transportation to and from athletic events for students. 

“I want to make sure that every student has the same opportunities that I have and are able to have a more enjoyable time as a student,” Brooks said.

For him, it’s all a matter of improving the student experience. Not as someone with a title that few on campus may be familiar with, but as a fellow student seeking the same level of success as others.

“Nothing made me want to get involved in politics,” he said, “but my passion and ambition to serve the students is what made me want to get involved in ASUNM. I am willing to go the extra mile for the students who I represent.”

Brooks pointed to a track record of accomplished goals while involved with ASUNM, including connecting ASUNM to students through the Commutter Connections initiative, and expanding the shuttle system to pick up those who have evening classes.

Brooks added that, if elected, he has a plan of detailed steps to achieve the goals on his new checklist. Beyond anything, though, Brooks plans on being a channel of students’ voices to University administrators, a microphone of those he believes are being underrepresented. 

“We are extremely dedicated to the student body," he said. “While we want to be the voice of the students to administration, we want the students to be our voice, so that everything we say is coming straight from the students.”

David Lynch is the editor-in-chief at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealDavidLynch.