Crime briefs for Oct. 5

Burglary at 2300 Tucker St. NE

On Monday, Sept. 25, the reporting officer was sent to 2300 Tucker St. NE to assist another UNMPD officer with investigating a burglary, according to a report.

When the reporting officer arrived, the officer that was already present said an unknown offender or offenders entered through a window on the west side of an office space. The offender(s) then attempted to pry open two cabinets in the secretary’s space but did not succeed.

However, the offender(s) pried open an overhead cabinet and and took a box containing keys to all overhead cabinets in the cubicles. The offender(s) entered several private cubicles to look through cabinets and drawers. Because all the doors were locked, it appeared the offender(s) were climbing over the top of the cubicles, where there is a 4-foot gap between the top of the cubicle and the ceiling.

Overall, the offender(s) took a speaker, a computer mouse, a sand painting and a South American plate from the cubicles.

The two officers attempted collect fingerprints from several areas. Because there was a large amount of dust on top of the cubicles, no prints were lifted from that space.

Larceny at Lobo Village

On Monday, Sept. 25, a female student entered the UNMPD station to report she and two of her roommates were experiencing larceny at their Lobo Village apartment, according to a report.

The student said roughly $100 cash, jewelry, makeup and food items have been stolen from her apartment. She said two of her three roommates have had similar items missing. This has been a consistent problem, especially on weekends, she said.

Over the weekend of Sept. 23, the reporting student said she had $35 missing from her wallet.

An officer will be interviewing all roommates and speaking with the students’ resident advisor.

Criminal Damage to property at Lobo Village

On the early morning of Tuesday, Sept. 26, three men vandalized a female’s car while it was parked at Lobo Village, according to a UNMPD report.

An officer was sent to the location and asked the female to meet him at her vehicle. She said she parked there at about 1 a.m. that same morning.

The officer reviewed the security footage at the Lobo Village office. At about 1:30 a.m. three males began to damage the vehicle.

In the video, the three are hunched near the front left tire and flatten it. One of the men attempted to kick out the front windshield but failed. He then used the side of his fist to wipe off the the windshield. A subject jumped on the vehicle’s roof, making dents. The side mirrors were kicked until one fell off and the other was broken. One of the men threw a rock through the driver’s window. Although the subjects did not try to enter the vehicle, it appeared that they looked into it with a flashlight on one of their cell phones. It is possible that the subjects may have taken photographs with their phones through the driver’s window. Before leaving the area, the men returned to the car several times to damage it further.

A detective took photos of the damage to the vehicle, along with a footprint left on the windshield. The officer collected fingerprints off the front windshield to save as evidence and to submit to the state labs for processing.

Runaway from UNM Children’s Psychiatric Center

On Thursday, Sept. 28, an officer was sent to 1001 Yale Blvd. in reference to a runaway juvenile, according to a police report.

When the officer arrived, the child’s mother, who was clearly concerned, said UNM Hospital security was transporting her son from UNMH to the UNM Children’s Psychiatric Center. However, she said, as they entered the building, her son fled from security on foot. The juvenile was last travelling southbound toward the hospital roundabout.

The description given to UNM dispatch stated the juvenile was wearing a gray shirt and blue jeans, but the juvenile’s mother said her son’s shirt was actually white.

The juvenile’s mother told the officer her son tried to commit suicide that morning, and she was afraid he might attempt it again.

UNMPD units attempted to locate the juvenile in the immediate area. Surrounding agencies were also informed that the juvenile needed to be located — the juvenile was entered into the NCIC as a missing endangered person.

The officer was told more information would be sent to UNMPD at the time the officer wrote the report, but it had not arrived.

The juvenile was not located. The reporting UNMPD officer did not participate further.

Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez