Women's Basketball: Coach Bradbury announces 2018 recruits

Head coach Mike Bradbury and the University of New Mexico women’s basketball program announced their 2018 recruiting class for Wednesday’s signing day.

In total, four high school recruits and one junior college player have all signed on to be a part of the Lobos’ next season.

According to ESPNW’s HoopGurlz, the Lobos’ 2018 recruiting class ranked 19th overall — and the best among schools not in Power 5 conferences.

The Lobos were able to get their hands on a four-star athlete in 5-foot-11-inch guard Jayla Everett, who hails from Kirkwood High School in Missouri.

Dan Olson, the director of ESPNW’s HoopGurlz, ranked Everett in the top 100 of the 2018 recruiting class — the only one of the five recruits ranked in the top 100. She ranked 65th among all recruits.

“Jayla is an athletic combo guard with tremendous playmaking ability,” Bradbury said in a press release. “She is explosive off the dribble, with a knack to finish with great body control. Her court vision and unselfish play will translate well into our system.”

The other three high school recruits, guard Bre’Asiajah Mathews, forward Shaiquel McGruder and guard Quincy Noble are all three-star recruits, according to ESPNW’s HoopGurlz.

McGruder who, alongside Everett, made a visit to an open scrimmage last month at Dreamstyle Stadium, is a senior at Trotwood-Madison High School in Ohio. Last season, she averaged 11.7 points per game and 11.1 rebounds per game. She is listed at 6-foot-1-inch tall.

Noble, who is a senior at McKinney High School in McKinney, Texas, averaged 17 points per game as well as 6.1 rebounds in her junior season. In addition to being a three-time First-Team All District player, Noble also won an AAU Adidas National Championship with the Texas Elite this summer.

“(Quincy) is an extremely accurate 3-point threat that fits the way we play,” Bradbury said. “She brings a ton of energy and determination to the floor. Her long wingspan will allow her to be active in our defense and press.”

The Lobos added another Texas recruit in Mathews, a 6-foot tall guard. Last season, Mathews, who plays at Lakeview Centennial High School in Dallas, Texas, averaged 18.4 points per game and 9.6 rebounds per game — a near double-double average. She also won the district MVP as a junior in high school.

The only junior college athlete to commit thus far during the recruiting season for the Lobos, forward Ni’Asia McIntosh, currently plays for New Mexico Junior College. Standing at 6-foot-1-inches, McIntosh averaged 8.9 points per game and five rebounds last season.

Bradbury was pleased with the class he and his team put together, and said the addition of the five recruits will only help them compete better in the future.

“I am extremely pleased with the 2018 class we’ve signed,” Bradbury said. “We continue to recruit the most talented and suitable players to help us compete at the highest level. The length and athleticism we are bringing into the program will allow us to really defend, rebound and run. Overall, I believe this group can be very special for our future success.”

The Lobos open up their season at home against Western Michigan this Friday at 7 p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers baseball and men’s and women’s basketball but also contributes content for football. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@matt_narvaiz.