Career Issue: Five jobs you might not have heard of

Editor's Note: The original version of this article stated that the Outdoor and Bike Shop is currently looking for employees — that is incorrect. The shop generally looks for employees at the beginning of each semester, but positions fill quickly, and the shop does not need applicants at this time. The Daily Lobo apologizes for any confusion. 

Paying for college can be hard — finding a job to help pay for college can be even harder. Working through college does not have to be limited to typical jobs, though. There are a vast amount of jobs offered through the University of New Mexico. Here’s a list of some of the not-so-common jobs available for students.

Bike Shop Mechanic: UNM Outdoor and Bike Shop

Recreational Services at UNM houses a bike shop that looks for a bike mechanic at the start of the semester. Although the shop is not currently looking for applicants, it may be something for students to keep in mind for the future. 

Noel Ortiz, coordinator for the Outdoor and Bike Shop, said there are two levels to being a mechanic: entry and intermediate.

At the entry level, students will be exposed to bike terminology and skills, such as basic tune up services, flat tire repair and how to open and close the shop. Intermediate mechanics are required to know all entry level skills and to be able to perform overhauls on bicycles, perform tune ups on rental bikes and order parts, Ortiz said.

He said the position is for anyone who is enrolled in six credit hours at UNM and should have prior customer or mechanical skills.

Barn Assistant: Mandy’s Farm

Mandy’s Farm is a nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting individuals with developmental disabilities by providing a positive environment for learning, living and working within the community. Programs offered include working at an art space, a therapeutic pool and a garden to grow produce to sell at a local farmer’s market, as well as horseback riding.

UNM students have the opportunity to work at Mandy’s Farm as a barn assistant. Luis Pacheco, job coach supervisor at the farm, said an assistant would be responsible for working with the barn manager on all duties, including helping move the horses, muck the stalls and feed the animals.

There would also be the opportunity to help teach adults with learning disabilities how to ride a horse properly and teach about the different body parts of a horse, Pacheco said.

The job is open to anybody. Some experience is preferred, but it is not required, he said.

Assistant Videographer: UNM Athletics

According to UNMJobs, the athletics department is looking for a student assistant videographer. The person selected for the position would be required to “set up film equipment for various sporting functions, film practice and games for different sports, break down equipment and run tapes.”

The site lists sports experience as preferred, but not required. Applicants must not be afraid of heights and must be able to lift 20 pounds.

Student Fitness Instructor: Recreational Services

A student interested in being a fitness instructor can apply to be responsible for various fitness classes offered by Recreational Services, including the World of Wellness pass, the personal training program and Excel, said Jim Todd, the director for Recreational Services and manager for the Johnson Center and Seidler Natatorium.

He said a fitness instructor can expect to teach classes, such as Pilates, Zumba and yoga, to maintain a national certification in the area they are teaching and ensure that classes run smoothly.

UNM students that meet employment requirements set by the University have experience teaching group exercise classes, and who own and maintain a national certification, are welcome to apply, Ortiz said.

Planetarium Assistant: New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science

This off-campus opportunity allows students to work alongside curatorial staff and educators at the Museum of Natural History & Science, according to the UNMJobs site.

The position entails presenting planetarium programs to the public, helping with setup and assisting in routine maintenance of planetarium components. Applicants must have work study, and a background check is required.

Madison Spratto is a news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Madi_Spratto.