UNM hockey players sit on their bench during a game on Sept. 27, 2013 at the Outpost Arena.

Hockey: Lobos down Michigan State to post winning record at ACHA Nationals

The University of New Mexico hockey club may not have advanced out of pool play at the 2018 ACHA National Championships, but the team seemed to have put to rest any questions about whether or not it belongs on the national stage.

In its first-ever appearance on the national stage as a program, New Mexico ended with a 2-1 record in pool play — culminating with a 6-5 victory over the No. 1 overall team in the nation for most of the season, Michigan State.

Quinnipiac emerged as the winner of Pool B by winning all three of its matches, including an 11-3 shellacking of the Lobos in their lone loss.

UNM defeated Central Florida in overtime by a score of 4-3 in its opening match, but the team likely had a lot of soul-searching and serious questions about how to move forward against a very strong Michigan State team.

After what New Mexico head coach Grant Harvey referred to as a “lackluster performance” by his goal tender, he went back and forth before electing to stay with senior

ames Bostian to protect the net.

“I changed my mind about eight times,” Harvey said. “I consulted some of my coaches, and by game-time, I’d changed my mind again.”

And Bostian was up to the task, as Harvey said his goalie played phenomenally in his final game — along with the rest of the team against Michigan State on Thursday evening.

Defenseman Logan Colyer scored on the first shot on goal just over two minutes into the matchup to give the Lobos an early 1-0 lead.

Michigan State answered right back with a equalizer soon thereafter, putting the puck past Bostian off the stick of Tom Zelenka.

Later in the first period, UNM senior center Jarrod Ronquillo cleaned up a rebound in front of the Spartan net, collecting a loose puck and firing it into the goal to put the Lobos back on top 2-1.

But the Spartans responded again — scoring in eerily similar fashion. Matt Potoniec made some nifty moves in the open ice to set up a clean scoring chance, firing a rocket of a shot toward the goal. Bostian made a fantastic save, but Michigan State’s Austin Rothe found the rebound for a putback goal to even things up at 2-2 heading into the first intermission.

New Mexico had a great power-play late in the second period, but somehow the post denied several shot attempts from breaking the tie. But about a minute later, Ronquillo notched his second goal of the game, beating the goalie to give UNM a one-goal advantage again.

The teams moved into the third period with the Lobos still holding a 3-2 advantage, and both offenses caught fire trying to end the postseason on a high note.

Senior team captain Austin Short gave UNM a 4-2 edge, knocking through a power-play goal just 1:17 into the third period, but Michigan State rallied back with a goal from Adam Goodes off the glove of Bostian to cut the deficit in half.

Colyer unleashed a thundering shot from distance to tally his second goal of the game, beating Jack Larson to give the Lobos a two-goal cushion again, making it 5-3. Though Sparty struck again later in the period to make it a one-goal game once more.

As the clock ticked down under four minutes, the Spartans were desperately trying to mount a comeback and tie things up, but found themselves short-handed when another UNM senior stepped up to slam the door.

Jaxson Farnholtz made the most of a 5-on-3 power-play advantage, finding the puck in the crease and blasting it past Larson to give the Lobos a commanding 6-4 lead with the clock winding down.

The Spartans got a late goal from Zach Beaumont and actually had a couple of chances to tie the game in the final seconds, but were denied by Bostian as UNM held on for a 6-5 victory.

Farnholtz seemed to feel some validation by getting a win over one of the perennial hockey powers in the postseason finale and that the Lobos have the talent to compete with just about any team.

“It was a great feeling,” the senior center said. “It just shows that when we are playing our game, we can battle with the best of them.”

He also said coming up short of winning the national championship left the team wanting more, and that he thinks the returners will be hungry to continue making strides and working toward that goal.

Even though the season ended on Thursday night for the Lobos, some of those returners got a glimpse at what advancing might look like. Harvey said he and the players stayed in Columbus, Ohio to watch the semifinals, adding that he felt it was important for the team to stick around and see that experience.

Harvey said the way the Michigan State game and the season ended were fitting, calling it “the perfect send-off” for the senior leaders on the lead. Bostian stood tall against a very capable Michigan State team and Farnholtz and Short, who finished 1-2 on the team in points, did what they’ve done all season.

“It couldn’t have ended any better — Jaxson (Farnholtz) and Austin (Short) got (two late goals), both end up mattering in a 6-5 game,” the head coach said. “So, I couldn’t have wrote it any better.”

He said every goal one scored against a team of MSU’s caliber will be one a player will remember for the rest of their life, especially when the caveats of playing a final game at nationals during senior year are thrown into the mix.

Farnholtz credited his head coach for imparting lessons that transcended the hockey rink and not only prepared him for games, but also for life.

“He’s been a phenomenal coach — not only on the ice, but off the ice too. He makes sure we all get involved (with volunteerism)...he helps us make sure we make an impact in the community.”

Harvey said one thing he wants people to know about his squad is how much the game means to his players. New Mexico hockey is not a scholarship sport, though the team often competes against schools that do have that luxury to offer.

He said officials and coaches alike seemed impressed by the way New Mexico competed and conducted themselves and appeared to take great pride in the recognition. Harvey said people are taking note of what the team has accomplished, but acknowledged that they aren’t done.

Farnholtz seemed to echo that sentiment, adding, “It was our first time, but I guarantee you it won’t be our last,” regarding the team qualifying for the ACHA National Championships.

Harvey said there won’t be much down time for him or the team before they find themselves back on the grind again, saying he’ll soon be out on the recruiting trail and expects everyone will be back at it sometime within the next couple of months to begin that quest.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball, football and tennis. He can be contacted at sports @dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Robert_Maler.