Women's Basketball: Lobos replace recent departures with two new signings

Two out, two in. Just days since it was announced that N’Dea Flye and Jasmine Smith would not return to the University of New Mexico women’s basketball team, head coach Mike Bradbury has already found a use for their vacated scholarships.

On Wednesday, the program announced the addition of Nike McClure, a graduate transfer from Washington State University. On Thursday, it added Ahlise Hurst, a freshman from Bendigo, Australia.

McClure stands at 6-3, and will provide the Lobos with some additional depth in the paint behind rising senior Jaisa Nunn. McClure is a native of Tenino, Washington and will be eligible immediately for the Lobos since she has earned her degree.

A highly rated prospect coming out of high school, McClure averaged 5.4 points and 5.6 rebounds in 28 games this season. She holds the Washington State single season record for blocks with 68 during the 2016-2017 season. She also holds the Pac-12 record for most blocks in a game with 12.

“Nike brings us an experienced and versatile post player,” Bradbury said in a release. “She is a strong rim protector and rebounder. We connected right away in the recruiting process and her personality will be exciting to coach.”

McClure announced her decision with a post on social media.

“I’m extremely excited to announce that I will be finishing my college career at The University of New Mexico,” McClure said on social media. “Can’t get over how much I already love the team and staff. Looking forward to next season.”

Hurst comes to the Lobos from Bendigo Secondary College, has featured for the Australian National Team at the U17 level and has been named to the U18 team for the FIBA Asian Championships.

“We are excited about the addition of Ahlise to our program,” Bradbury said in a release. “She’s a skilled scorer that has high-level experience. We expect Ahlise’s offensive repertoire to be a perfect fit in our uptempo system.”

Hurst played in the Women’s National Basketball League last season as a member of the Bendigo Spirit.

With the additions of Hurst and Bendigo, the Lobos have one open scholarship remaining for next season.

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer and softball but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.