A car drives into the UNM Cornell parking structures and passes by a row of fences blocking off Johnson Gym in preparation for upcoming construction on June 3, 2018.

Johnson Center to undergo construction until 2020

Major renovations and expansions of Johnson Center on the University of New Mexico’s main campus is set to begin mid-June and last until early spring 2020 — bringing closures and relocations with it.

The construction of the over 100,000 square foot space will cost $35 million, all of which comes from student fees, according to Jim Todd, director of recreational services.

“Recreation centers go far in helping students succeed,” Todd said. “With the mandatory freshmen living on campus requirements, we need things for freshmen to do,” adding that an upgraded Johnson Center will help increase student recruitment and retention.

The weight and cardio rooms will be temporarily relocated to the auxiliary gym until the new space is completed. The bike shop will go to room B08 in Johnson Center and the outdoor shop to B12.

Closure of the south gym, dance room, aerobic room, mat (wrestling) room and racquetball courts will begin on June 11th. These areas will remain closed throughout construction, according to the department of recreational services.

According to Todd, the racquetball courts will mostly likely not be returning.

Some of the new additions to Johnson Center will be a larger space for weight and cardio equipment, functional training rooms, an indoor-cycling studio and an indoor running and walking track.

One of the biggest changes coming to Johnson Center is the addition of a central courtyard, or concourse, from which users can access many of the gyms and rooms.

“A lot of this project is to open up pathways,” Todd said.

The new design also calls for additional bathrooms and the remodeling of existing ones. An upgraded heating and air conditioning systems, a new laundry room, and new spaces for the Outdoor & Bike Shop will also be included.

Part of the construction includes reworking the Central and Princeton intersection. Once complete, Princeton will feed into the University.

Johnson field and all swimming pools will remain open during the construction.

If the budget allows, Todd said a rock-wall could also be included in the renovations.

As an alternative to Johnson Center, many area gyms already offer a student special, usually requiring a student ID.

Planet Fitness is offering students their Black Card Membership for “0 down, no commitment.” The membership includes access to any of their nationwide centers, massage chairs and to a Planet Fitness trainer, according to their website. It cost $21.99 per month, with a $39 annual charge.

Justin Garcia is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. He can contacted at news@dailylobo.com.