Mobile dog adoption car stolen

The hum of car wheels on the road can be heard over the whines and barks of dogs waiting to be adopted along the side of Academy Road Northeast on June 30.

Volunteers from People’s Anti-Cruelty Association (PACA) - Albuquerque Animal Rescue — a nonprofit no-kill shelter — raised collapsible dog cages, preparing for the day.

Everything seemed to be accounted for, except for the group’s mobile adoption trailer.

On May 5, Lanya Androlewicz, president of Albuquerque’s PACA program, received a phone call — their trailer was missing.

“It basically held everything we need for mobile adoption,” Androlewicz said.

Androlewicz said the trailer held metal cages and dog dishes among a plethora of supplies collected after 11 years of mobile adoptions.

She said within a week after announcing to the community that the trailer was stolen, donations and supplies poured in to support the group, but the experience left a mark on the organization.

“The frustrating part is just the work that was required from our volunteers who are already completely unpaid — this is something we do in addition to gainful employment to serve the community, which we’ve been doing for over 45 years — (the theft) shows a lack of general respect from people that steal for a living,” she said.

While the volunteers facilitated adoptions without the trailer, Androlewicz said having the trailer helped the process.

Now, she said the group is in the final stages of getting a new mobile adoption trailer.

Julie Hart has been with PACA for five and a half years as a dog trainer.

She said the theft did not hurt people.

“(The thieves) didn’t hurt us really, they hurt the dogs. They caused us to use money that could have gone toward medical bills, spay and neuter (procedures) and something like that to buy the trailer and all the supplies we still needed — they cost this organization about $7,000,” Hart said.

Androlewicz said PACA accepts cash donations and that “all of the money goes directly to helping the animals,” but they will also accept donated supplies.

“We could potentially use some larger folding wire crates...metal bowls…treats like bones or biscuits…and if people were interested into entering the world of fostering,” Androlewicz said.

Donations can be mailed to P.O. 21280 Albuquerque, 87154 or online at nmpaca.org.

Anthony Jackson is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TonyAnjackson.