Letter: Alzheimer's is a public health crisis

As the sixth leading cause of death and the only cause of death in the top ten without a cure, prevention or effective treatment, Alzheimer’s is a public health crisis across the nation. In New Mexico, 38,000 people are living with the disease and their care is provided primarily by their families.

As an Alzheimer’s Association volunteer Advisory Board Member, I advocate so as to bring this issue to the forefront of awareness across the state. As I discuss this issue in the community, I encounter many who are experiencing Alzheimer’s disease in their family.

As your state representative in Washington, Senator Martin Heinrich understands the burden to the state and the nation, supporting additional funding to the National Institutes of Health with which to fund additional research of the disease and increase the likelihood of finding a cure, prevention or effective treatment.

Let him know how much you appreciate his support on this important public health crisis and likewise, ask him to support the BOLD Infrastructure for Alzheimer’s Act (S. 2076/H.R. 4256) which would create an Alzheimer’s public health infrastructure across the country to implement effective Alzheimer’s interventions focused on public health issues, such as increasing early detection and diagnosis, reducing risk and preventing avoidable hospitalizations.

Your voices, added to mine, can make a difference.

Adrian Rodriquez