UNM selects Interim Title IX Coordinator

The University of New Mexico has selected Sara Cliffe as the Interim Title IX Coordinator at the Office of Equal Opportunity.

Cliffe began working at UNM June 2018 as the OEO Compliance Manager. According to Francie Cordova, the director of OEO, Cliffe is well versed in Title IX, which was why she was selected for the position.

Cordova said Heather Cowan, the previous Title IX Coordinator and long-time UNM employee, has accepted a position at the University of Michigan where she has lived before.

Cliffe said she will be continuing several initiatives that UNM has been working on. This includes the campus-wide training initiative, which aims to keep campus safe and varies among students, faculty and staff, and the investigative reports of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

“(The interim) role could last only two or three months, in which case Cliffe’s role is much more limited, however, if the selection process takes longer then her role will be much more broad,” Cordova said.

The job listing for the permanent Title IX coordinator has been posted. Finding a permanent Title IX Coordinator will involve a national search, Cordova said. There will be a search committee, which both Cliffe and Cordova will both be on. Interviews will be done over Skype, and the final candidates will probably be flown into Albuquerque if the they are coming from out of state.

According to Cordova, UNM students, faculty and staff will be invited to meet the potential candidates and be involved in this selection process.

“My biggest concern is ensuring that we have prompt and complete response to victims and responders in the investigation process,” Cliffe said. “We must respond to the matter and be attentive, complete and through.”

Safety Week will also be a large focus in the school year, Cordova said. This year’s Safety Week will be Sept. 18 through 22. There will be trainings offered during the week and he said the OEO will continue campus climate surveys that has been an initiative for the past few years.

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com, culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.