Dannelle Kirven talks to the ASUNM Senate Wednesday night about recent racialized comments made by members of Kappa Kappa Gamma.

ASUNM brief: Racial remarks and resolutions

Editor's Note: The print version of the photo accompanying this article states that the comments allegedly made by members of Kappa Kappa Gamma were made within their sorority house. The alleged comments were actually made during a Greek Life meeting with new members, and the cutline has been corrected. The Daily Lobo apologizes heavily for this error. 

The Vice President of the Black Student Alliance spoke to Senators of the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico during their full senate meeting Wednesday evening regarding racial remarks allegedly made by members of a UNM sorority.

According to a statement from the BSA, members of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority made racial remarks during a speech by the director of Counseling Services at Student Health and Counseling, Dr Stephanie McIver.

“We feel that this is a reflection of the climate for black students at the University of New Mexico,” Kirven said. “We just want campus to be a safer place for all students.”

Nearly $15,000 was appropriated to five student organizations.

Beta Alpha Psi, a fraternity for students of accounting, finance and information systems, received $2,682.

Lobo Catholic received $3,603, primarily for their Fall Awakening Retreat at Albuquerque’s Madonna Retreat and Conference Center.

Society of Women Engineers received $1,887, part of the appropriation was for a new computer for the organization office.

Society of Physics Students received $1,036.

UNM Women’s Ultimate Frisbee received $5,759, much of it was marked to cover travel costs and new jerseys.

All appropriations were passed unanimously.

A resolution suggesting that UNM be more accessible to students with disabilities was also passed.

The representative of the Accessibility Resource Center to the Joint Council, Charlene Blackledge, said there is “a difference between meeting federal minimum requirements and being accessible and welcoming to students with disabilities.”

Two more resolutions encouraging students to vote in the November midterms were passed. Much of the conversation revolved around the appropriate wording of the resolutions.

Director of LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center, Lisa Lindquist, spoke to Senators about the role of her organization at UNM. She said she wants LoboRESPECT to be known for more than mandatory trainings, adding that it can serve as advocates for students as well.

A part of a UNM agreement with the United States Department of Justice, LoboRESPECT is responsible for mandatory trainings on sexual assault, harassment and bystander interaction.

Justin Garcia is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers ASUNM. He can be contacted by email at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc.