A UNMPD officer stands behind a police cruiser on Sept. 23, 2015. UNMPD is currently under an assault allegation for an officer punching a women Aug. 25, 2017.

Crime briefs for Sept. 24, 2018

Battery at UNMH

On Sept. 7, a UNM Hospital employee told a UNM Police officer that another employee “slingshotted” a rubber glove, hitting her in the face, according to a police report. Before he did this, he antagonized her and her co-worker. She told him not to fling the glove at her. She thought the glove was contaminated. She informed her supervisors about the incident and was treated at UNM Employee Occupational Health Services. She later returned to work. When she met with the officer, the officer did not notice that she had any visible injuries.

The co-worker who witnessed the incident completed a statement that was given to UNMPD. In her statement, she said the male employee flung gloves at the reporting employee and hit her on the cheek. The reporting employee told him to get away from her. The male said the gloves were clean and that he was sorry, and he walked away. In her statement, she said the male employee seemed to be “playing around” and did not intend to be unkind — he and the employee who was hit with the glove usually seem to get along well.

The male employee also wrote a statement, indicating that he walked into the area the other two employees were in and said hello. He was “messing with his clean rubber glove and tossed it to (her) at which time she got mad and offensive.” The glove landed on her chest, he said. In his statement, he said he left when she told him to and apologized, but she did not want to listen to it.

Battery near Art Annex

On the evening of Sept. 11, an officer was sent to 1901 Central Ave. NE in response to a battery, according to a UNMPD report. After arriving, the officer spoke with a woman who was crying and upset. She said she was walking near the Art Annex when an unknown male approached her and grabbed her breasts.

The woman screamed, turned to run away from the male and fell, scraping her knee and ankle. The male left the area, moving eastbound on Redondo. The male was described as 6 feet tall, Asian, in his 40s, with gray hair and wearing a maroon/purple shirt and khaki shorts. The woman refused medical attention.

Emergency Mental Health Evaluation

On the afternoon of Sept. 12, all UNMPD officers were sent to the Yale parking structure, due to a suicidal juvenile, according to a report. Earlier that day, two UNMPD officers were dispatched to UNMH to speak with the children’s psychiatric staff, who said a female juvenile escaped.

When officers arrived at the Yale parking structure, the female was on the north end of the top level of the structure on a narrow ledge. Police established a perimeter and created a crisis intervention team.

One officer worked with a technician who had a rapport with the female. The officer gave her water and talked with her, asking her to leave the ledge and talk with the technician. The technician spoke with her away from the ledge.

With her permission, the officer came up to her and offered water and anything else she would like. He suggested that he pick up food from McDonald’s, and she gave him her order. When the female was sitting in a safe position on the ground, police grabbed her. She initially needed to be restrained, because she was combative, but then she cooperated and entered a UNMPD patrol unit. She was taken to UNM Children's Psychiatric Center.

Harassment at HOPE parking lot

On Sept. 13, a woman made a report at UNMPD, according to a police report. She told police that when she left work on Aug. 13, she returned to her vehicle parked in the HOPE parking lot and noticed someone dumped coffee on her passenger window. She thought it may have been an accident, drove home and washed off the coffee.

When she returned to work and parked in the same space, this happened again a few more times. On Aug. 24, she decided to park her car in a different space in the parking lot, but when she returned to her car, there was coffee on her window. Someone may have also spit on the window. On Aug. 26, she noticed her boss and some co-workers in the parking lot and loudly said, “‘I wish someone would learn how to carry their drink and stop spilling it on my car.’” After she made this comment, the incidents stopped.

The woman is currently not sure if someone was specifically targeting her. She said the situation has made her feel grief and concern. She made an appointment with UNMH security to review surveillance video of the parking lot. She told UNMPD she would be in contact if officers needed to review anything. The case is pending.

— Briefs compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez