Utah State University Jordan Love with a touchdown against New Mexico in the Maverik stadium in Logan, Utah on Oct. 27, 2018. Utah State defeated the Lobos 61-19, making the Aggies season record 7 and 1. (Megan Nielsen)

Football: New Mexico gets crushed 61-19 by Utah State

The New Mexico football team scored first on Saturday, but the heavy underdog took it on the chin for the second time in as many weeks as they were decimated by Utah State 61-19 on the road.

Things started off well for New Mexico (3-5, 1-3 MW) as it got a defensive stop and took its opening drive into Utah State territory and came away with a field goal to open up the scoring and take a 3-0 lead just a couple of minutes in the game.

The score came off the foot of freshman kicker Andrew Shelley, who drilled the 53-yard field goal — the second-longest in school history, according to a release.

Utah State responded with a touchdown, but the Lobos appeared to be in good shape after driving deep into enemy territory again. But on a second-and-7 from inside the red zone, UNM quarterback Sheriron Jones served one up for the defense and the Aggies were off to the races, with Shaq Bond returning the interception for 100 yards and a 14-3 lead.

Things only got uglier from there, as Utah State scored twice more in the final two and a half minutes to hang 28 points on the Lobos in the opening quarter to move ahead 28-3.

A win was probably academic at that point, but the Aggies continued to pile on with three more touchdowns in the second quarter to record 49 unanswered points. The Lobos finally answered with a defensive safety for their lone score in the quarter, but surrendered a field goal at the end of the first half and trailed 52-5 at the break.

The 52 first-half points were the most the Lobos had given up since allowing 59 points to the Oregon Ducks in a 72-0 shellacking the team received in 2010.

Utah State racked up over 700 yards of total offense, despite "calling off the dogs" in the second half. Starting quarterback Jordan Love went 23-of-34 for 448 yards and four touchdowns — nearly all of which occurred in the first half.

Jones didn't see much action behind center after halftime either. The UNM quarterback was replaced by Coltin Gerhart after throwing his third interception of the game, which led to another Utah State score early in the third quarter to make it 55-5.

Both Lobo quarterbacks threw for 110 yards as the run game became secondary after falling behind by so many points. Senior running back Tyrone Owens led the team with just 38 yards on 12 carries.

Utah State appeared to pick up yards however it wanted, gashing the Lobos for nearly 200 yards on the ground and over 500 through the air. The Aggies had a staggering eight red zone opportunities — all of which they were able to convert.

The Aggies coasted to a 61-19 victory, dominating the Lobos in seemingly every aspect of the game and perhaps leaving people wondering if UNM has regressed back to what it was before head coach Bob Davie came to Albuquerque.

Many fans may have thought those days were behind them after the program seemed to turn a corner several years ago, but the team has fallen on hard times again.

The team lost seven games to end the regular season last year, and could be in danger of repeating that dubious distinction again. UNM has been outscored 99-26 in its past two games and, while three of its final four are at home, the Lobos are unlikely to be favored against any of their remaining opponents.

New Mexico will return home to face San Diego State on Saturday, Nov. 3 at 8:15 p.m.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball and baseball and contributes content for various other sports as well. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Robert_Maler.