Legislators, reporters, photographers and the public mingle and mumble as they make their way out of the Senate Chamber at the Santa Fe Roundhouse on Feb. 15, 2018. 

A guide to New Mexico State Elections in 2018

New Mexico State Races

State races include governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, auditor, treasurer, public lands commissioner, public education commissioner and public regulation commissioner. The positions of governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, auditor, treasurer, public lands commissioner all represent the entire state. Public education commissioner and public regulations commissioner are divided into districts. Only some of these districts are up for election this midterm.

Governor and Lieutenant Governor

Term limits prevent governors from serving for longer than two terms, meaning current Governor Susana Martinez cannot seek reelection. The governor also serves as the commander and chief of New Mexico state military forces. The New Mexico governor is in charge of all cabinet heads and cabinet appointees.

Lieutenant governor serves as the president of the New Mexico State Senate and presides over legislative sessions as well.

Michelle Lujan Grisham is the Democratic candidate for New Mexico Governor. Previously she served in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Howie Morales is the Democratic candidate for the New Mexico Lieutenant Governor. Morales currently serves as a member of the New Mexico Senate.

Steve Pearce is the Republican candidate for the New Mexico Governor. Pearce is currently the U.S. representative for New Mexico CD-2.

Michelle Garcia Holmes is the Republican candidate for the New Mexico Lieutenant Governor. Garcia Holmes is running under the campaign slogan, “For a safe, strong New Mexico.”

Attorney General

The attorney general serves as the head legal officer of the state. Commonly known as the ‘people’s lawyer,’ the attorney general also serves as a legal counselor to the legislature.

Hector Balderas is the Democratic candidate for attorney general. Balderas is the incumbent and has been the attorney general of New Mexico since 2014.

Michael Hendricks is the Republican candidate for attorney general. Hendricks is the owner of Hendrick’s Law firm in Albuquerque.

A. Blair Dunn is the Libertarian candidate for attorney general. Dunn is a fourth generation New Mexican.

Secretary of State

The secretary of state is in charge of maintaining records pertaining to commerce and industries in New Mexico. Additionally, if the governor and lieutenant governor are out of state the secretary of state steps in. The secretary of state directs the New Mexico House of Representatives until a speaker of the house is selected at the beginning of a new legislative session.

Maggie Toulouse Oliver is the Democratic candidate for secretary of state. She is the incumbent.

Gavin Clarkson is the Republican candidate for secretary of state. Clarkson was previously a law professor at New Mexico State University.

Ginger Grider is the Libertarian candidate for secretary of state. Grider is an advocate for voting rights issues.

Treasurer

The treasurer manages the state’s investments and money. The treasurer is also the head custodian of the New Mexico treasury. Banking assistance is also provided to other state agencies and handles taxes.

Tim Eichenberg is the Democratic candidate for treasurer. Eichenberg is the current New Mexico treasurer and is up for reelection.

Arthur Castillo is the Republican candidate for treasurer. Castillo is the previous chief financial officer of the Office of the State Treasurer and director of Budget and Finance.

Auditor

New Mexico is one of 24 states that elects its state auditor. The auditor examines the affairs of all state agencies yearly.

Brain S. Colón is the Democratic candidate for auditor. Colón was the previous chair of New Mexico Democratic Party.

Wayne Johnson is the Republican candidate for auditor. Johnson is the incumbent.

Public Lands Commissioner

The public lands commissioner heads the New Mexico Public Lands Office. The commissioner is in charge of managing the land and mineral rights of New Mexico.

Stephanie Garcia Richard is the Democratic candidate for public lands commissioner. Garcia Richard has previously served in the New Mexico House of Representatives.

Patrick H. Lyons is the Republican candidate for public lands commissioner. Previously Lyons has served as the New Mexico public regulation commissioner.

Michael Lucero is the Libertarian candidate for public lands commissioner. Lucero is a New Mexican rancher.

Public Education Commissioner

There are 10 public education commissioners in New Mexico. Each commissioner serves for four years and terms are staggered, meaning not all districts are electing their respective public education commissioner this year. The commissioner is in charge of the authorization of chartered schools in their district and works in collaboration with the New Mexico Public Education Department.

All candidates running for public education commissioner are running unopposed in their respective districts. District two, three, five, six and seven are all up for election.

Public Regulation Commissioner

The public regulation commissioner is responsible for the regulation of utilities, telecommunications and motor industry. Additionally, the public regulation commissioner must ensure that public services are provided.

New Mexico is divided into five districts, however only districts two, four and five are currently up for election.

Kevin Sanders is the Democratic candidate for public regulation commissioner for district two. Sanders is an attorney and graduated from the University of New Mexico School of Law.

Jefferson Byrd is the Republican candidate for public regulation commissioner for district two. Byrd is a member of the Farm Bureau and New Mexico Cattlegrowers Association.

Theresa Becenti-Aguilar is the Democratic candidate for public regulation commissioner for district four and is running unopposed.

Stephen Fischmann is the Democratic candidate for public regulation commissioner for district five. Fischmann has previously served on the New Mexico State Senate.

Ben L. Hall is the Republican candidate for public regulation commissioner for district five. Previously Hall has served in the New Mexico House of Representatives.

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com, culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.