Career+Fair_hero.jpg

Photo courtesy of the University of New Mexico.

Career Expo gives students taste of job market

The University of New Mexico’s annual Career Expo will be held in the Student Union Building ballrooms on Feb. 14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The event, hosted by UNM’s Office of Career Services, will be free to all jobseekers: students, alumni and community members alike. Billed as an “all majors” internship and job fair, recruiters from over 100 local, national and international organizations in various industries will be on hand to sell prospective applicants on the merits of their employers.

Career Services details advice for attendees looking to make the best first impression of themselves in a guide on their website. Jobseekers are advised to come prepared, dress professionally and bring copies of their resume, as many employers will be collecting resumes at the event and scheduling interviews for after the fair.

For those looking to hone their interview skills, first impressions, or resumes, Career Services will be holding free daily workshops leading up to the expo in Room 220 of the University Advisement and Enrichment Center. Dates and times can be found on their website.

Other resources at Career Services are available to increase prospective employees’ chances of securing a job. A videotaped mock interview, resume/cover letter tips, professional correspondence etiquette and further assistance in job search tactics and strategies are available at their office by appointment.

Preparation is key to making a good first impression, according to Career Services’ guide for job fairs. Attendees should identify the list of attending employers and research the industry, company and position. After researching, applicants should speak to employers that are the best fit for them; these are the first steps for any successful candidate.

Preparing a 20 to 30 second introduction for yourself and asking questions to get employers talking about their organization are other keys to a great first impression. The complete list of attending organizations can be found on Career Services’ website.

The Office of Career Services did not respond to a request for comment at press time.

Andrew Gunn is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted by email at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @agunnwrites.