Johnson Gym.jpg

Photo courtesy of UNM Newsroom (news.unm.edu)

Johnson Center construction five months from completeion

From its barren skeleton in the spring 2019 semester, the new Johnson Center is beginning to take shape.

The Johnson Center renovation and remodel — which began in June 2018 — is scheduled to wrap up in March 2020. The actual open-to-the-public date comes later in the spring, according to the communications and outreach specialist for the project, Sarah Scott.

The two-year, $35 million renovation, remodel and expansion of the University of New Mexico’s recreation center is funded entirely by student fees. To pay for the multi-million dollar project, UNM received a bond from the New Mexico state government. To pay back that bond (along with other University debt), UNM has increased student fees 30% since fall 2015, when UNM first started requesting money for the project.

"Recreation centers go far in helping students succeed," Director of Recreational Services Jim Todd told the Daily Lobo in June 2018. Todd added that a renovated Johnson Center might help increase UNM’s enrollment, which has declined for seven consecutive years.

The new center won’t just be for current students. During an undergraduate student government meeting in spring 2019, Todd said former students enrolled at UNM during Johnson Center’s construction could use the new facility after its completion. For example, if a student was enrolled for two semesters during construction, they would receive a voucher to use the center for two semesters after they left UNM.

In the new Johnson Center, racquetball courts will not return and there won’t be a rock wall, according to Todd. Otherwise, the center is promised to have expanded space for weight and cardio equipment, an indoor running and walking track, an indoor cycling studio and additional bathrooms.

The center’s inside look has also come into focus as completion nears. The new dance room is painted yellow, while the multi-purpose and workout room is colored green, gray and blue.

"UNM Brand Guidelines define cherry and silver as primary brand colors," University Architect Amy Coburn wrote in an email to the Daily Lobo. "As the Johnson Center Expansion and Renewal project supports UNM recreation, application of secondary color palette is appropriate. The use of energized colors in these spaces (is) complementary to the recreational use.”

Have questions about the Johnson Center construction? Send them to opinion@dailylobo.com.

Justin Garcia is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc