Arts & Culture issue: Fashion front-runners at UNM

From time treasured trappings to future-forward fits, these five University of New Mexico undergraduate students showcased their style for the Daily Lobo. 

Business professional meets techware

Gabriel Ruja, a senior majoring in biochemistry and an Associated Students of the University of New Mexico senator, divides his style between formal attire for Senate and a techware aesthetic day-to-day.

For the last ASUNM meeting of the fall semester, Ruja donned platinum dreadlocks, a black suit, a blue-grey knit tie, chrome nail polish, silver and pearl rings and patent-leather Calvin Klein x Raf Simons collaboration boots.

Ruja said he cares more about quality than name brands when wearing business attire, and that stores like J. Crew are ideal. Ruja said for him, spending extra money on items like suit jackets and shoes is more worthwhile than expensive button-ups or ties.

When Ruja is more casual, he said he gravitates towards the techware movement and is inspired by stylists like Luka Sabbat. Online consignment stores like The RealReal are among Ruja’s favorite ways to find on-trend gems.

Ruja offered advice for those looking to experiment with their wardrobe.

"If you believe you can pull it off, then you’ll make it look good and people won’t question it," Ruja said.

High fashion meets androgynous streetwear

Sevía Gonzales, a senior in journalism and mass communication, wore a black corduroy jacket, a tucked white turtleneck, a pair of vintage Levi 551 jeans and some Nike Air sneakers. She completed the look with pearl earrings and a black belt with a gold buckle.

Gonzales said her favorite item is her Levi jeans.

"They were my moms — they’re vintage, they’re great. I can wear them with anything," Gonzales said.

Gonzales said she thrifts the majority of her items and shops mostly at Savers. When she thrifts, Gonzales looks for items that can match what she already has and aims for items that will "take an outfit to the next level."

Gonzales draws her fashion inspiration from many different areas but said she looks for details that speak to her.

"I’m a photographer... I like texture, I like contrast... I think I have an understated, kind of utilitarian androgynous style at the moment," Gonzales said.

When asked about her current favorite trends, Gonzales said, "I love the trend more towards androgynous clothing — females wearing male pieces and being utilitarian. High fashion meets street fashion I think is a big movement right now... I like that."

'90s streetwear meets 2019 athleisure

Charles Lucero, a senior psychology major, sported wavy brown locks, a deep blue 'Alaska' hoodie, a muted green long-sleeve, forest-colored corduroy pants and gifted white Adidas sneakers.

Lucero described his style as "variable," but said he draws much of his inspiration from musical artists like Steve Lacy and Tyler the Creator. Lucero explained that when it comes to a favorite fashion decade, he finds himself drawn to the tail end of the 20th century.

"I really like the '80s and '90s — for instance, the movie 'Boyz n the Hood' — there’s one scene where Cuba Gooding Jr. is wearing really nicely fit jeans and a puffy sweater that looks great," Lucero said.

When it comes to shopping, Lucero said his favorite store in Albuquerque is Buffalo Exchange. As a fan of athleisure, Lucero said he looks out for brands like Nike, Adidas and Vans — but he also said brand doesn’t matter if it’s a good piece.

"I truly just wear whatever I feel like wearing," Lucero said.

Millennial pink meets e-girl

Jenny Le, a sophomore accounting major, rocked bleach blonde space buns, silver earrings, a tiger top layered with mesh sleeves, black ripped skinny jeans, fishnet socks, her mother’s golden bracelets and watch, a gray scrunchie and white Reebok tennis shoes.

Le described a synesthesia-esque connection between her fashion style and music taste.

"I feel like my style is associated towards a type of music. When I’m in my car and I play music that matches my style that day, it feels like it all fits together," Le said.

For inspiration, Le said she pulls from the "e-girl" trend on Instagram mixed with a "soft" aesthetic.

"I like a little bit of both, because I want to be vintage but also edgy," Le said. She added that she typically shops at Urban Outfitters or on "Asian websites that (she has) to Google translate," such as YesStyle.

Though Le said she’s experimenting with new colors, baby pink is still a staple in her wardrobe. Le said that ultimately, fashion is a representation of how one feels.

"(My style) reflects who I want to be perceived as," Le said. "For example, I’m wearing this tiger on my shirt, and I want to be perceived as someone who has power or who’s really confident."

Businesswoman on her lunch break meets lovable kindergarten teacher

Ry Dozier-Lerum, a sophomore and English major, calls herself "a big thrifter."

She wore a large houndstooth jacket, a white turtleneck, a jean skirt, black thigh high socks, black chelsea boots and a hot air balloon purse.

Dozier-Lerum described her look as "somewhere between businesswoman on her lunch break and lovable kindergarten teacher."

Apart from drawing fashion inspiration from her friends, she enjoys the Instagram account @alyssainthecity. Dozier-Lerum said her style comes from where she’s "feeling on the gender spectrum that day."

Dozier-Lerum’s outfit is reminiscent of the '80s and part of a larger trend of reimagining looks from the '70s, '80s and '90s.

"All three decades are coming back around right now," Dozier-Lerum explained. "I think I’m most drawn to the '80s, (and) I feel like there are two sides to it. There's a really explosive side, and the other kind of toned down — but very sophisticated — classic style."

When it comes to makeup, Dozier-Lerum said the natural-inspired dewy makeup trend common in Korea and popular on social media is a personal favorite.

"I think it's cool that we’ve come full circle back around to having the natural look be in," Dozier-Lerum said.

Dozier-Lerum also said her personal makeup style has a deeper meaning than meets the eye.

"I guess I’m just really into pink right now. I feel like I never allowed myself to be into pink growing up, because I come from a queer family and I felt like I had to present a certain way," Dozier-Lerum said. "Until recently, I didn’t feel like I could be feminine in a mainstream kind of way."

Alyssa Martinez is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @amart4447

Joseph McKee is a culture reporter and graphic designer at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @josephdmckee