Cards Adjacent Humanity .jpg

University of New Mexico students gathered in the Student Union Building to pu their humor to the test in a Cards Adjacent Humanity tournament on Saturday night.

Students go head-to-head in 'Cards Adjacent Humanity' tournament

The crowd was small but the laughs were loud in the University of New Mexico's Student Union Building Ballroom during the first-ever Cards Adjacent Humanity tournament hosted by the student organization Tabletop Tavern on Nov. 9.

Students were welcome to hang out, enjoy the food and play the popular adult card game Cards Against Humanity, or other games, during the four-hour event. It was $5 to get in, and everyone had the chance to win one of three prizes: A Cards Against Humanity Green Box extension pack, Monopoly for Millennials or a $21 gift card to Spencer’s.

As for the tournament itself, 18 players were divided into three tables. The groups played until only two people remained from each table. The six winners then joined for a final game where the first person to get five black cards won the main prize. The players continued until someone else won second place, and then again until someone won third. Whenever a winner was declared, everyone in the room applauded them energetically with a standing ovation.

"I'm really happy with the turnout for it being their first event," Rose Cary, a senior in the English department, told the Daily Lobo. "I think it's really cool, especially considering that they’re a new student organization."

Cary won second place in the tournament. She said she was excited about getting the Monopoly for Millennials, a satirical version of the classic board game. Cary planned to go to a girl's game night after the tournament.

Tabletop Tavern is a new student organization to the University campus. Members of the group meet every Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. to play Dungeons & Dragons along with other games in a Mesa Vista Hall classroom.

"It is a really casual environment," Tavern member and Anderson School of Management junior Nathaniel Perry said. "If it goes like 30 minutes or an hour later, that doesn't really stop us. If it moves over to someone's house and kind of turns into a casual party, that tends to happen."

Club Vice President Nick Livingstone, a junior studying computer science, said their locations can sometimes change, but they use their club's Instagram and Twitter to keep people updated on meeting details. He also said they have a Discord chat where people can join to stay up to date with meeting plans.

Tabletop Tavern President Dasie Kent, a senior and psychology major, said they currently have four campaigns active at the Dungeons & Dragons meetings. People can pick and choose which one to go to each week, but they usually just stay in the same one they started in.

Kent said about 20 to 25 people attend each week, but if more people want to join they can send an email to tabletop@unm.edu or message any of their social media accounts.

Daniel Ward is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter  @wordsofward34