LoboTHON.jpg

LoboTHON aims to raise more than last dance marathon

SUB — Looking for superheroes? Look no further than the 2020 Marvel Avengers-themed LoboTHON, the fifth annual dance marathon to raise funds for the Children's Miracle Network.

Last year, the fundraising team broke their $100,000 goal and raised $103,408.42. This year, the goal is to raise $111,000 for children's hospitals, medical research and community awareness of children's health issues.

The Dance Marathon will provide food and games for the 13-hour run time and be held on March 28 from noon to 1 a.m. The event includes teams led by Zumba group DebTfitness, UNM flamenco students and the Comic Crusaders for New Mexico.

LoboTHON is known for taking significant steps to raise funds for the University of New Mexico Children's Hospital for the past five years — specifically for a program known as Child Life.

The Child Life program is an age-appropriate educational and preparatory service for sick children and their families, according to the Health Science Center website. Like years past, children and parents from the UNM Children's Hospital will share their stories during the marathon.

Nainika Ravi, the marathon events committee chair, said LoboTHON fundraising gives hope to every child.

LoboTHON was acknowledged in July 2019 and awarded the Most Improved Dance Marathon Award at the Miracle Network Dance Marathon Leadership Conference.

UNM is not the first to host a dance marathon — more than 250 universities and high schools participate in similar events every year.

LoboTHON Internal Director Mohammed Assed's goal is to see everyone have a good time and raise at least $13.10 per person.

"If you get the chance to meet some of these miracle kids, you'll see there's nothing but potential in them," Assed said. "It's crazy to see the things that they want to achieve in life. It's our duty that they get that."

Anyone around the community of UNM is welcome to volunteer for LoboTHON. Dance marathon leaders will announce how much they raised for this year when the event concludes.

More information on LoboTHON can be found on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @Lobo_Thon.

Cameron Ward is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @xx_cameo_xx