Police cars.jpg

University of New Mexico police vehicle parked outside Hokona Hall.

Weekly Crime Briefs: Threat calls and alleged possession of a firearm in student housing

The weekly crime briefs are to give the students, faculty and staff at the University of New Mexico a quick look into the crimes reported on campus. They do not provide all perspectives of the incident. All of the information is retrieved through UNM Police Department incident reports.

Threat calls at Casas Del Rio

UNM police were dispatched to Casas Del Rio for a disturbance and threat calls.

On Feb. 22, a student reported earlier that evening two adult Hispanic males pounded on his door and entered his apartment. The student then proceeded to request the two uninvited males to leave his dorm, but they refused.

The disturbance call was made to UNMPD at 2:46 a.m. The two suspects then took off down a flight of access stairs after they noticed the police in the building.

UNMPD contacted the involved student who claimed that the two suspects were looking for his roommate. When the student told the suspects his roommate wasn't there, he proceeded to ask them to leave. The suspects said the roommate had something that belonged to them and refused to leave.

The student did not comment any further.

Sexual assault at University and Central

A suspect followed a female onto campus asking for sex on Feb. 20. If she refused, he threatened to masturbate while continuing to follow her.

UNMPD was dispatched to University Boulevard and Central Avenue for an assault. Upon arrival, UNMPD detained a suspect matching the description given of the offender.

The victim waited at Wendy's for the business to open when the male suspect approached her. He then asked her to buy him a burger when the restaurant opened. His follow-up questions asked her if she wanted to "f***" him. The female left the area and went north to campus.

The suspect continued to follow her, claiming that if she wouldn't have sex with him he was going to masturbate instead. He continued to follow her up the hill west of Hodgin Hall then turned around and walked to the ART bus stop.

When officers made contact with the suspect, he refused to comply with commands. He also had removed his jacket, refused to give his name or any other means to identify him.

The suspect claimed his name was "Gold Tooth" and was arrested by APD.

The female victim was referred to the Women's Resource Center.

Alleged possession of a firearm at Redondo

A party requested police because a male student at Redondo had a firearm in his room on Feb. 24.

Upon arrival at the Redondo East Apartments, UNMPD made contact with the general manager of the location. The manager said a male resident had a firearm and requested UNMPD stand by while they issued a knock and announce.

UNMPD then escorted the reporting party to the resident's room and made contact with him. UNMPD spoke with the resident to give him insight on the reference call they had received.

According to the police report, the male suspect claimed he did not possess a firearm and asked UNMPD why they would think that.

After further investigation and a search of the room, no weapon was discovered.

Annya Loya is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annyaloyadl