Check this page for the Daily Lobo's updated testing and confirmed case data for the COVID-19 outbreak in New Mexico, thanks to the COVID Tracking Project. This page will be updated daily as more data is produced and reported.

As of July 12, the NMDOH has reported 15,028 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New Mexico, including 545 deaths and 6,322 recoveries.

The graphics on this page are optimized for desktop screens. For the best results, readers on mobile devices should view these graphics in horizontal mode.

Mapping the outbreak in New Mexico

The 'curve' in NM's counties

Mapping the cumulative growth of cases in the state on a logarithmic scale can help us visualize the famous 'curve'. The steeper the line, the more rapidly cases are being reported. A shallower, flatter line might suggest that the individual counties might be flattening their respective curves and mitigating the outbreak.

As of July 12, the New Mexico counties with confirmed COVID-19 cases are:
Bernalillo County: 3076 cases (96 deaths)
Catron County: 3 cases (1 death)
Chaves County: 162 cases (2 deaths)
Cibola County: 249 cases (14 deaths)
Colfax County: 9 cases (1 death)
Curry County: 251 cases (1 death)
Doña Ana County: 1404 cases (11 deaths)
Eddy County: 140 cases (1 death)
Grant County: 33 cases
Guadalupe County: 20 cases
Harding County: 1 case
Hidalgo County: 72 cases
Lea County: 280 cases
Lincoln County: 24 cases
Los Alamos County: 12 cases
Luna County: 122 cases (3 deaths)
McKinley County: 3634 cases (190 deaths)
Otero County: 77 cases (9 deaths)
Quay County: 16 cases (1 death)
Rio Arriba County: 139 cases (1 death)
Roosevelt County: 79 cases (1 death)
Sandoval County: 838 cases (30 deaths)
San Juan County: 2711 cases (171 deaths)
San Miguel County: 26 cases
Santa Fe County: 337 cases (3 deaths)
Sierra County: 14 cases
Socorro County: 64 cases (5 deaths)
Taos County: 53 cases (1 death)
Torrance County: 49 cases (1 death)
Union County: 8 cases
Valencia County: 186 cases (2 deaths)

In addition, the NMDOH recently began reporting case totals from various prisons and holding centers independently from the counties where they reside. These cases include:

469 cases in federal agencies:
Otero County Processing Center (ICE facility in Otero County): 149 cases
Torrance County Detention Facility: 43 cases
Otero County Prison Facility: 275 cases
Cibola County Correctional Center: 2 cases

467 cases in New Mexico Corrections Department agencies:
Central New Mexico Correctional Facility in Valencia County: 7 cases
Otero County Prison Facility: 458 cases
Penitentiary of New Mexico in Santa Fe County: 1 case
Northwest New Mexico Correctional Center in Cibola County: 1 case

Raw case growth vs. per capita growth

While the raw case count for each county is an important figure, it doesn't take into account the fact that New Mexico's population isn't evenly distributed throughout the state. For example, since Bernalillo County has (by far) more residents than any other county in the state, it tracks that Bernalilo would also have more confirmed COVID-19 cases than any other county (other than McKinley and San Juan, where the pandemic continues to ravage the Navajo Nation).

Because of that, it's just as important to look at the per-capita case growth in NM counties, which illustrates below the number of new cases that each county reports per every 100,000 people that live in each county.

COVID-19 testing in New Mexico, by the day

As of July 12, there have been 418,357 tests conducted in New Mexico, resulting in a total of 15,028 positive cases in 31 counties, all of which are still active except for 545 deaths and 6,322 recoveries.

How NM stacks up to the rest of the U.S.

Here's how every state has fared so far in terms of new cases per day. These lines have been smoothed out by using the seven-day rolling average for new daily cases in every state.

As far as the population-relative density of positive cases go, New Mexico ranks toward the middle of the pack, with just over 7,000 confirmed cases per every million people as of July 12.

Throughout the pandemic, we've seen that New Mexico has returned one of the highest test density marks in the country while seeing a low percentage of positive tests. While testing has increased significantly in New Mexico, the low proportion of positive tests might suggest that the virus hasn't established much of a presence in the state thus far.

How infectious is COVID-19?

The basic reproduction number (referred to as R₀ or R-naught) represents an estimate of the number of new infections created by every individual case of a given disease. COVID-19's virulence ranks similarly to that of Ebola, the 2003 SARS outbreak, HIV/AIDS and the flu.

An R₀ value of 1 or below suggests an illness which is expected to die out, while a value greater than 1 demonstrates an illness' ability to spread throughout a population. Current estimates of the R₀ of the coronavirus range from 1.5 to 3.5, though this number has varied as the situation has evolved.

Public health funding and COVID-19 prevalence

There are a number of ways to look at New Mexico's ability to respond to the pandemic, including public health funding. The United Health Foundation releases annual reports outlining each state's per capita public health funding, which it defines as being a two-year estimate of "state dollars dedicated to public health and federal dollars directed to states per person by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Health Resources and Services Administration."

In this regard, New Mexico's $220-per-person mark is the second highest in the nation. Paired with a (currently) below-average cases-per-million mark, New Mexico is in the lower risk tier when it comes to public health funding and COVID-19 prevalence.

This page will be updated daily as testing data continues to be reported.
Joe Rull is the data editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at data@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @rulljoe.