Check this page for the Daily Lobo's updated testing and confirmed case data for the COVID-19 outbreak in New Mexico, thanks to the COVID Tracking Project. This page will be updated daily as more data is produced and reported.

The current case count in New Mexico is 989, including 17 deaths and 217 recoveries.

For the best results, readers on mobile devices should view these graphics in horizontal mode.

Mapping the outbreak in New Mexico

As of April 9, the New Mexico counties with confirmed COVID-19 cases are:

Bernalillo County: 369 cases (12 deaths)

Catron County: 1 case

Chaves County: 18 cases

Cibola County: 21 cases

Colfax County: 1 case

Curry County: 9 cases

Doña Ana County: 44 cases

Eddy County: 6 cases (one death)

Grant County: 4 cases

Lea County: 2 cases

Lincoln County: 1 case

Los Alamos County: 4 cases

McKinley County: 84 cases (two deaths)

Otero County: 3 cases

Rio Arriba County: 7 cases

Roosevelt County: 1 case

Sandoval County: 174 cases (two deaths)

San Juan County: 126 cases

San Miguel County: 1 case

Santa Fe County: 70 cases

​​Socorro County: 9 cases

Taos County: 15 cases

Torrance County: 7 cases

Valencia County: 11 cases

COVID-19 testing in New Mexico, by the day

As of April 9, there have been 25,241 tests conducted in New Mexico, resulting in a total of 989 positive cases in 24 counties, all of which are still active except for 17 deaths and 217  recoveries. 

Note: It's widely assumed that the vast majority of positive cases in the U.S. are currently undetected. Knowing that, as long as the rates of growth of both positive and total tests are comparable, it's more accurate to say that the exponential increase in confirmed cases is a function of the similar exponential increase in total tests administered. A more in-depth explainer of this visualization and more like it is available here.

How NM stacks up to the rest of the U.S.

As far as the population-relative density of positive cases go, New Mexico is toward the back of the pack, with under 500 confirmed cases per every million residents as of April 9.

Early on, we're seeing that New Mexico is returning one of the best test density marks in the country while seeing a low percentage of positive tests. While testing has increased significantly in New Mexico, the low proportion of positive tests might suggest that the virus hasn't established much of a presence in the state thus far.

How infectious is COVID-19?

The basic reproduction number (referred to as R₀ or R-naught) represents an estimate of the number of new infections created by every individual case of a given disease. COVID-19's virulence ranks similarly to that of Ebola, the 2003 SARS outbreak, HIV/AIDS and the flu.

An R₀ value of 1 or below suggests an illness which is expected to die out, while a value greater than 1 demonstrates an illness' ability to spread throughout a population. Current estimates of the R₀ of the coronavirus range from 1.5 to 3.5, though this number has varied as the situation has evolved.

Public health funding and COVID-19 prevalence

There are a number of ways to look at New Mexico's ability to respond to the pandemic, including public health funding. The United Health Foundation releases annual reports outlining each state's per capita public health funding, which it defines as being a two-year estimate of "state dollars dedicated to public health and federal dollars directed to states per person by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Health Resources and Services Administration."

In this regard, New Mexico's $220-per-person mark is the second highest in the nation. Paired with a (currently) below-average cases-per-million mark, New Mexico is in the lower risk tier when it comes to public health funding and COVID-19 prevalence.

This page will be updated daily as testing data continues to be reported.

Joe Rull is the sports editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @rulljoe