mask statue.jpg

A statue wears a surgical mask on campus at the University of New Mexico.

New Mexico reinstates indoor mask policy following COVID spike

On Tuesday, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced that the state will reimplement an indoor mask policy, effective Friday, Aug. 20 until at least Sept. 15, due to an increasing number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. This policy, which may be extended or lifted by the governor if necessary, is required of individuals age 2 and up regardless of vaccination status. 

“We know that the pandemic is not over and that we’re in a pivotal moment in the state,” Lujan Grisham said at a COVID-19 update livestream on Tuesday.

Lujan Grisham also said the state is enforcing “mandatory vaccines in the places where they make the most sense.” Hospital workers as well as workers in congregate care settings must get their first COVID-19 shot within 10 days of Aug. 17 if they haven’t already, and their second shot within 40 days after the first (if applicable). Those that fall under exemptions must provide a negative COVID-19 test weekly.

In addition, effective Monday, Aug. 23, all workers at public, private and charter schools must demonstrate proof of vaccination or proof of a negative COVID-19 test weekly.

According to a press release from the office of the governor, “state modeling projects that New Mexico will reach 1,000 new daily cases of COVID-19 by the end of August.” Lujan Grisham said during the press conference that the two key factors in reducing the spread of COVID-19 are masks and vaccines, but didn’t deny that New Mexico is in a dire situation.

“This surge is a terrifying indicator of moving absolutely in the wrong direction,” Lujan Grisham said.

David Scrase, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Human Services Department, said that nearly every COVID-19 case in New Mexico right now is the delta variant. He encouraged anyone feeling sick or those who may have been exposed to COVID-19 to get tested for the virus.

“The virus has evolved into a new, more infectious virus that spreads up to four times more rapidly to four times as many people,” Scrase said.

Scrase reported that currently 65.9% of New Mexicans age 18 and up are fully vaccinated and 42.1% of New Mexicans 12-17 years old are fully vaccinated. New Mexico is currently running an incentive program for individuals to receive $100 if they receive their first or second dose of the vaccine before the end of August.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716