5 and why Evans.jpg

Freshman Emma Evans stands outside of the Casas del Rio dorms on campus.

5 and Why: 5 best things about living on campus

University of New Mexico freshman Emma Evans is getting the classic college experience by living on campus in the dorms her first year. This experience, though slightly different due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has introduced Evans to college life. 

The Daily Lobo asked Evans what the five best things about living in the dorms on campus are, and her answers may remind readers about their own times on campus.

Reasonable noise level in dorm

Evans said the noise level in her dorm in Casas del Rio is a good balance between loud and soft, which allows her to get more work done.

“My dorm’s … not quiet but it’s not insanely loud,” Evans said.

Along with the reduced noise level, Evans said she doesn’t see very many people in the hallways. Because of this, Evans doesn’t have to worry as much about what she looks like because she’s less likely to run into someone.

“That’s nice because if I’m not looking right, I don’t have to deal with seeing other people,” Evans said.

La Posada

La Posada, UNM’s dining hall, is just a minute away from Evans’ dorm. This practical location arrangement allows Evans to grab food easily whenever she’s near Casas.

“The food’s pretty good,” Evans said.

A favorite food that stands out to Evans is the rice that LaPo serves, but Evans said all of the food is good, especially compared to the archetype of bad dining hall food at colleges.

Market @ SRC

The food swipes that the market at the Student Residence Center Commons provide another way for students to get food on campus, and is a quick and easy way to get something on the go. Evans said the sandwiches that the Market @ SRC serves are easy to grab and good to eat.

Evans said the market and La Posada are “both convenient” because the locations are situated very close to her dorm and are just a short walk away. At both food places, Evans said she enjoys meeting up with friends to eat.

“I go there with my friends and then we just talk there, and you don’t have to go up (into the dorms),” Evans said.

Having Your Own Space

Evans lives in a 2 bed, 1 bath floor plan in Casas, so her room is connected to her roommate’s room through the bathroom. This allows her a good amount of privacy.

In addition, Evans said the room itself is very spacious.

“It is (luxurious),” Evans said. “It’s super nice.”

Big Bathroom

In addition to Evans’ large dorm room, the size of the bathroom is also notable.

“I have a really big bathroom, which is really nice,” Evans said.

This makes getting ready in the mornings or quick stops in her dorm easy, even though the bathroom is shared with another person.

Although the world is different in the pandemic, the core aspects that make up the experience of living on campus largely remain the same. As Evans continues her first semester at UNM, she’s glad to be living in the dorms while doing so.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716