B5B596A8-9B2D-4235-8E36-F4985E4AC8E0.jpeg
UNM cheerleader Jordan Sanchez poses with her pompoms.

Cheerleader Jordan Sanchez represents UNM with passion

From the moment she picked up her pompoms at three years old, Jordan Sanchez had found a love that would continue throughout her entire life. With a passion for helping others and lifting spirits, Sanchez has been shining at the University of New Mexico as a member of the All-Girl Cheer Squad.

As a cheerleader and member of the squad for four years now, Sanchez is proud to represent UNM in the best way possible.

“I love the sense of community in (cheerleading), how you can be kind of a representative for your school or your team, and some people look to you for great spirit … It’s something that I think is a true honor and blessing,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez is currently majoring in business administration with a concentration in marketing and a minor in communications. This is her final year with the squad, as she is set to graduate next semester in the spring of 2022.

“I just love the program and I love the school, and it’s been awesome being a part of it,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez said the team relies on her to “bring spirit or a positive attitude” and she does her best to deliver.

“She wants people to be passionate and excited about (anything) she’s working on,” Sanchez’s brother, Zachary Sanchez, said. “Anything that she’s involved with, she wants other people to be just as happy or excited about it.”

Not only does her squad coach Tony Vasquez describe Sanchez as a dependable leader, but he also said she leads her life with just the right amount of humility, humbleness and fearlessness.

“She’s super confident,” Vasquez said. “I don’t think anything could really bring her down.”

Sanchez has felt grateful to come back to a safe, in-person environment at UNM after the University operated online for a period of time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. She said the pandemic took a toll on everyone’s lives.

“We all lost so much of our time and our life,” Sanchez said. “I think getting back to the flow of things (and) being able to be in-person for games and school, it’s amazing.”

Ever since watching the movie “Legally Blonde,” main character Elle Woods has inspired Sanchez to pursue law; she plans to go to law school after she finishes her undergraduate degree at UNM. Sanchez aims to be successful in whatever she ends up doing in the future, and both her brother and coach agreed that will happen.

“She’s going to be a leader in whatever field she goes into,” Vasquez said.

What keeps Sanchez going day-to-day and allows her to stay true to her core is her family. This, along with her selfless desire to help others, will launch Sanchez into the world post-college.

“My motivation is my family, honestly. I always want to do things to make them proud,” Sanchez said. “I also want to do things to make the community proud. I never want to let anyone down. And I just, overall, want to be proud of myself.”

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716