IMG-1-2.jpg
Shiro Ishizu stands in a room full of weights and training equipment at Johnson Center.

5 and Why: UNM alumnus shares 5 best ways to stay healthy

Just starting a workout session at Johnson Center recently was University of New Mexico alumnus Shiro Ishizu. Before diving into his exercise, Ishizu agreed to let Daily Lobo readers know his top five tips for staying healthy.

Drink water while exercising

U.S. News & World Report found that part of exercising should be to replace the liquids you’re losing in the process and that drinking water in addition to your daily water intake is necessary to stay healthy.

"We lose fluids during exercise primarily through evaporation via sweat and through respiration," board-certified sports dietitian Kelly Pritchett told U.S. News & World Report.

Ishizu, who goes to the gym two or three times per week, makes sure to drink enough water while exercising to stay on top of his health.

Sleep an appropriate amount

Ishizu said he sleeps a regular amount every night, which ranges from seven to eight hours.

“If I don’t sleep well, I have a hard time (during the day),” Ishizu said.

Indeed, National Sleep Foundation guidelines generally recommend seven to nine hours of sleep for healthy adults but noted that “sufficient sleep duration requirements vary across the lifespan and from person to person.”

Don’t drink too much alcohol

Ishizu rarely drinks alcohol, and said he avoids drinking alcohol by himself and only drinks in social situations.

“(I) just try to avoid alcohol,” Ishizu said. “That makes me dizzy the next day.”

The Mayo Clinic reports that “while moderate alcohol use may offer some health benefits, heavy drinking — including binge drinking — has no health benefits.” The organization defines moderate drinking as up to one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men.

Eat healthy

England’s National Health Service reported that “the key to a healthy diet is to eat the right amount of calories for how active you are.” In addition, the organization said people should be eating a wide range of different foods.

However, the NHS noted that each person’s food intake is personalized to them. A rough estimate for men is to get 2,500 calories a day and women should get about 2,000 calories a day.

Walk around more

Ishizu’s car recently broke down, so he has to either walk or take the bus to get around. However, he doesn’t mind too much since this is an easy motivator to walk around more.

NBC reporter Brianna Steinhilber said walking is one of the most underrated exercises that has numerous health benefits for many different types of people.

“Walking is a really good form of exercise and can help you reach your fitness and weight-loss goals. As a lifelong track athlete, who has marveled at race walkers … I don’t scoff at walking,” certified exercise physiologist John Ford told NBC. “In fact, walking is the suggested workout over running for many people.”

From walking places to sleeping more, Ishizu has tips that not only students but individuals all around Albuquerque can take advantage of to stay healthy.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716

Editor’s Note: Shiro Ishizu is not a fitness expert and none of the information provided should be taken as medical advice.