Copy of Copy of letter to the editor.jpg

LETTER: ASUNM provides voice to UNM students

As students here at the University of New Mexico, there are many opportunities available throughout the campus and schedules to put forward your beliefs on how experiences can be made better and to put forward messages that you believe are important to share. With our undergraduate student government, the Associated Students of UNM, students are elected to use their perspectives and experiences to elevate those of their peers and represent the whole of the student body in many areas.

It’s our pleasure to share that whether or not you serve in an elected or appointed position in student government currently, there are strong ways in which you can contribute to the process of communication and making positive changes that students can enact.

One of the major aspects of ASUNM is consideration and passage of legislation. Whether it is an amendment to the ASUNM lawbook or Constitution, the governing documents that assist in the operation of the executive agencies (including Lobo Spirit, Student Special Events, the Southwest Film Center and others) and student organizations, or a message to be shared with deserving recipients on behalf of students, such as with a resolution, commendation or condolence, such legislation is an important aspect of the decision-making process that is taken on by students in leadership roles.

We hope to grant some advice on how to involve yourself, your peers and student organizations to apply this to a subject you can find that is of great importance. ASUNM resolutions can reach UNM faculty and administration members as well as be sent to the whole of the undergraduate student body and may be reported on in news outlets.

The process

All it takes to bring a piece of legislation you work on to ASUNM, and potentially the whole of the UNM community and others of your choosing, is to collaborate with others, complete the writing process and allow it to be sponsored by at least one current member of the ASUNM Senate. The Senate is made up of 20 student representatives coming from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, and they are continuously looking for the best ways to act upon student input. 

There are templates available to work off of on the ASUNM website, as well as examples available to use in terms of resolutions and other pieces that have passed previously in order to serve as guides.

Students can make them as detailed and specific or as broad as they desire, and as long as they have a goal in mind, they will almost certainly gain attention and consideration.

You can use the tools available to add all of the clauses and resources you think would be necessary for a resolution, and it really helps to be thorough. Ensure that as much benefit comes from it as possible.

Once you and the people who have helped write the legislation have added all necessary sections and you’re satisfied with the content, congratulations. It is then submitted to the chair of the Steering and Rules Committee and can be considered, voted on and brought to a consensus.

After this, it is then brought to the full ASUNM Senate if it is passed. This is usually contributed to with public comments at the meetings, and once a piece is passed by the full Senate, it is ready to be officially shared with students and others in the next ASUNM monthly email sent to the whole undergraduate student body along with the other specified recipients.

Reach out to people serving in the ASUNM Senate with any ideas you have interest in, and get their opinions to hopefully capture their interests in sponsoring and speaking in favor of it. 

The more eyes on your work that you can get from people that are knowledgeable about the subject, such as the ASUNM attorney general’s views about changes to rules or an ecology professor’s views on the necessary actions to combat climate change in a prompt way, the more successful the legislation will be in reaching its goals.

Even if you don’t think that the bills you put forward might be read by many people, there are lots of people, including faculty members, who will see its importance coming from the student body and take it to heart, especially when coupled with a strong message and points of action.

The purpose

Some things may inspire people from across the community to come to the ASUNM Senate meetings for public comment, especially for things with important implications, such as what took place in spring 2021 with a resolution relating to a pressing issue, such as hate crimes against Asian Americans.

They can be sent to relevant individuals and organizations, some of which have been the UNM Residence Hall Association, members of the administration, and representatives in the state government and U.S. Congress for issues that may necessitate their involvement.

These resolutions can help garner broad support and can be used as a broader campaign of advocacy, as UNM LEAF has done using press releases and presentations as well to promote their organizations’ goals. This is something that you can do as well with any passionate organizations that you’re involved with.

For instance, in spring 2021, I became inspired to put forward a resolution that affirmed the equality of transgender and gender-nonconforming people as well as sharing the importance of allowing transgender athletes and students to participate in sports in an equal way, especially after recently seeing decisions made on a large scale that I felt needed to be spoken on based on my own experiences.

I have also worked with other students on commending those who have helped to increase the state lottery scholarship as well as for a student who broke the record for the fastest time in crossing the Colorado Trail — things we believed were highly deserving, and this is something that any of our peers can model as well.

For more information, come to the ASUNM office on the bottom floor of the Student Union Building, or get in contact with any senators by email, whose information is listed at asunm.unm.edu under the Senate tab.

We highly encourage you to get involved in the messaging sent out from the student body, and be a representative for the change you wish to see at UNM.

Raina Harper is an ASUNM senator on the Steering and Rules Committee