Summerfest, gives platform to local artists and businesses

The City of Albuquerque kicked off its annual concert series, the Albuquerque Summerfest, Saturday, June 10 at North Domingo Baca Park where a crowd of community members gathered for a free event featuring local musicians, businesses and food.

The event was the first of three that will take place this summer throughout the Albuquerque Metro area.

Ryan Romero and Miguel Otero are members of “St. Levi and the Family Tree” – a local alternative soul duo that recently released an EP entitled “Sacramental.” The event also featured 3 other musical groups.

“It was definitely the most professional show we’ve ever played,” Romero said. Past venues the duo played at included local breweries and Launchpad, however this was the largest audience they have played for, Romero said.

Romero and Otero both attended Summerfest events in the past as audience members, but this was their first time performing at the event. It was nice to see the community come together to enjoy live music, Otero said.

“It’s a beautiful thing. There are so many people here. Come out to Summerfest and support those local musicians. Local music is always a good thing to participate in,” Otero said. 

Kayla Kitts is the creator of The Doodle Shop – a business that features her own New Mexico centered art on keychains, stickers, notepads and more. Her business was one of many that had a tent set up at the event.

“We have been coming for years as visitors,” Kitts said. “I knew that it was a fun event for families and friends to enjoy together, so I wanted to bring my little joy-gifts so that people could discover them.”

Her business has also sold items at the Albuquerque Railyards Market as well as other local venues, but this event was unique for Kitts because it was at night. There was more foot traffic and the crowd was different than the morning crowd at Railyards, Kitts said.

“As visitors, this benefits the community so much as a fun, joyful, safe place to come have fun. I think Albuquerque really needs this stuff,” Kitts said.

Kitts hopes to have a storefront and art space for her shop, and said that this event helps her work towards that goal by providing her with more business and clientele.

Along with shopping and entertainment, the event also featured kids activities, including a rock wall and face painting. The next event will be the Route 66 Summerfest where 12 musical groups will perform on 4 stages along Central Ave. on July 22. 

Lauren Lifke is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com. 

Lauren Lifke

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lauren_lifke