tswift.jpg

Photo courtesy of Taylor Swift.

Opinion: Can someone please give me Eras Tour tickets?

Taylor Swift through the eras

It’s safe to say that over the past three years, Taylor Swift has spoiled her fans. Starting with her 2020 release of “Folklore,” she has released six albums – three entirely new ones and two  rerecordings. On July 7, Swift gifted her fans another nostalgic experience and released “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).” 

“Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” comes 13 years after the original masterpiece. Swift has been rerecording her previous albums from when she worked under producer Scooter Braun. Braun had refused to sell Swift the rights to her music, so she is rerecording it. I am all for her owning her music and doing so in any way she can. And who doesn’t love being supplied with nostalgia?

The album includes re-recordings of the original bangers and six “From The Vault” tracks. I have listened to this album about seven times since Friday, playing it three times in a row over the speakers at my summer job. 

Swift’s new recordings show how her voice matured and improved, and her lyrical revisions demonstrate personal growth. 

Swift changed the lyrics in “Better Than Revenge.” The line, “she’s better known for the things she does on the mattress,” (which feels very slut-shamey), was changed to “he was a moth to the flame, she was holding the matches.” The change has not been the most popular amongst fans, however, it’s a line that I find myself partial to. 

The line change is very akin to the growth in lyrics listeners have seen from Taylor Swift over her last few albums. All the other songs stayed the same except some small adjustments in production and sound quality. The biggest – and most important – change is that she now owns all the songs on “Speak Now.” 

Along with the change to “Better than Revenge,” there were six new songs, including “I Can See You.” On July 7, one of the most insane nights of “The Eras Tour,” Swift included a surprise premiere screening of a music video for the song. 

I, sadly, did not get tickets to the tour (stupid Ticketmaster), but witnessed the release via TikTok. That concert in Kansas City had several moments that I will always be exceptionally jealous of. 

As Swift is currently on “The Eras Tour,” based purely on my own speculation, I don’t see any new albums being released before the tour concludes in 2024. However, I’d wager we will see the release of the last three rerecordings, “Taylor Swift,” “1989” and “Reputation” before her final show. Ending “The Eras Tour” owning all her albums – and eras – would be glorious. 

There is speculation of when (and in what order) the remaining rerecordings will be released, but I am betting that “Taylor Swift” will be last. Her debut album and namesake work being the final release would bring things full circle – ending not just each era, but the larger era of her career from “Taylor Swift” to now. 

At 33 years old, it's odd to think of Swift already having multiple eras of music, but she’s been a star since her first album’s release at age 16. Listeners have had the opportunity to see her and her music grow for almost two decades. 

Her discography is stacked with acclaimed works like “Folklore” and “Evermore,” which I am partial to, and career defining earlier albums that I will always love. 

Swift’s music has always and will always hold a special place in my heart with hope that there is much more to come. I’ll continue to be a faithful listener and “Lover” of her music, no matter the era. 

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @esecor2003.

Elizabeth Secor

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003