APS 2.jpg

The APS Board of Education building on Saturday, Oct. 21.

Mill Levy and APS

With the election coming up, a question on the ballot proposes an Albuquerque municipal Public Schools Mill Levy or asks whether or not to continue to utilize property taxes in order to fund APS and charter schools.

If approved, property taxes will not increase and APS will continue to get $264,673,790 for the next six years. If failed, APS would not receive this funding.

Mill Levy, also referred to as a Capital Improvements Tax, provides funding for school activities, maintenance and other miscellaneous things.

Scott Elder, the Superintendent of APS, spoke about several ways the Mill Levy funds will be used.

“APS utilizes the money for renovation, maintenance and other things. With this, we can fix and replace fences that have been worn down – leaky roofs if there is a pipe loose. We can install cameras for security and we can get more equipment for music classes, science classes, the library and other technologies for our students and faculty,” Elder said.

If the Mill Levy is approved, funds will also be allocated – alongside the aforementioned construction and materials – towards Chromebooks, American with Disabilities compliance, classroom and library furniture, physical education equipment, and upgrading electrical equipment, security systems like card readers.

“It's a huge impact. It’s a big thing to make sure that APS schools have a safe, clean, comfortable learning environment for the students and staff,” Elder said.

Rodney Prunty is a freelance sports reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at News@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Rprunty05