shine down

Shinedown performs at Isleta Amphitheater on Oct. 19.

REVIEW: Shinedown brings a flying piano to Isleta Amphitheater

Isleta Amphitheater’s season came to a close on the evening of Oct. 18 with an incredibly rockin’ show.

Shinedown was the forerunner for “The Revolutions Live Tour,”  bringing with them Spiritbox and Papa Roach.  All of them cranked their amps up to 11. 

Each band put on an exceptional performance alongside the music — with an array of psychedelic backdrops, interactive lighting and pyrotechnics that made the ground jump.

Shinedown is an American rock band that released their first album, “Leave a Whisper,” 20 years ago in 2003, and they haven’t slowed down since. Their most recent album is “Planet Zero,” released in July of 2022.

“Planet Zero” is an album focused on the effects of technology on the human race, and how it could go too far. On streaming services, the album has a set of interludes that lead directly into this theme, but the show itself pushes those ideas to the maximum.

Along with their latest album, they performed a collection of tracks from seven studio albums. 

One of the most entertaining aspects of the band’s show was the flying piano that descended from the roof. During the show, Brent claimed that it was the first ever flying piano at the Isleta Amphitheater.

The show opened with Spiritbox – a heavy metal band of three from Canada. Courtney LaPlante is the singer and songwriter for the band and put on one of the most impressive vocal performances I have ever seen. LaPlante displayed the ability to scream in a perfect heavy metal style before switching to a melodic singing voice.

Spiritbox was certainly able to warm up the crowd, but Papa Roach took the excitement to another level.

Papa Roach is a living legend from the ‘90s grunge era of rock ‘n’ roll and delivered a touching and heart pounding performance. Their drummer, Tony Palermo, seemed to replace the heartbeat in my chest.

Papa Roach’s front man, Jacoby Shaddix, was able to put on a raw, energetic and compassionate display. This came not only from songs like, “Leave a Light On,” “Last Resort” and “Scars,” but also through a pre-recorded video about the importance of having hope. The band’s overlying message was that you are not alone, no matter what.

Each of the bands were pure rock ‘n’ roll,  from their music to their message to the crowd. The feeling of being a part of this genre was palpable during the show, and within it was etched the message that none of us are ever alone. It’s alright to admit we have struggles so we can face and overcome them, but above all else, keep moving forward.

The thousands of smiles on the crowds’ faces clearly showed the band’s success in delivering that message. Cars honked off into the pitch dark night, blaring more rock ‘n’ roll and keeping the feeling alive.

BillyJack Davidson is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @BillyJackDL

BillyJack Davidson

BillyJack Davidson is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached on Twitter @BillyJackDL