1989 Taylor Version

"Taylor's Version: 1989" Album cover. Courtesy of Drift Records.

Review: “1989 (TV),” I've been waiting for you

Since the “1989 (TV)” announcement in August, Taylor Swift fans have eagerly awaited her fourth re-recorded album. With only two more to go, excitement builds with every re-release.

I was excited to kick off Halloweekend with old bangers like "Style" and "New Romantics," and my Spotify was set up right at release time. One of my favorite things about being in New Mexico is  that Taylor releases her albums at 12 a.m. Eastern Time, which is 10 p.m. here.

As the sweet and upbeat tunes of “Welcome to New York” filled my room, I knew that Taylor Swift had slayed yet another re-release.

I was even more excited to listen to the “From the Vault” tracks such as “Slut!,” “Say Don’t Go,” “Now That We Don’t Talk,” “Suburban Legends” and “Is It Over Now?” All of these had a lot of hype around them as Taylor Swift paired with Google to release the names back in September.

Taylor Swift is known for her hidden clues sprinkled throughout social media and old album releases hinting when the next album will be re-released, and “1989 (TV)” was no different.

Swifties went to Google in droves as it was discovered that looking up “Taylor Swift” prompted a vault that included a word scramble to reveal song titles from the upcoming album. Sadly, I never got the Google game to work, but many other Swifties did and I enjoyed watching the TikToks of people figuring out the word scrambles.

None of Taylor Swift’s “From the Vault” songs surprised me as much as “Slut!” The song was in the same vein as “Karma” from “Midnights” because it was nothing like I thought it would be. I tuned into “Slut!” expecting a power ballad similar to “Look What You Made Me Do.” 

I could not have been more wrong. “Slut!” turned out to be a gut-wrenching slow song with lyrics that pulled at the heartstrings. It was by far my favorite. 

I quite enjoyed this re-release. Although “1989” has never been one of my favorite albums, I do appreciate Taylor’s pop era. Overall, if I know anything, “I Know Places” and listening to “1989 (TV)” is the place to be.

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @esecor2003 

Elizabeth Secor

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003