UNM Art Museum explores identity and nature

Several times per year, The University of New Mexico Art Museum highlights social topics with its installations, ranging from featured exhibits and UNM’s personal permanent selection of artwork to donated pieces. 

From now until mid-May, the UNMAM will display “Hindsight Insight 4.0,” a multifaceted exhibit that portrays issues pertinent to college students – including gender, sexuality, race and the environment – using artworks from different concentrations and artistic expressions.

The exhibit includes works from multiple generations, genders, sexualities and artists from UNM and beyond. 

In an effort to provide a space for artists to tell their own stories, the curators and organizers – Mary Statzer, jessamyn lovell, Megan Jacobs and graduate student Ellan Luna – have not limited their selections to any corner of the population or any medium of expression. One piece, for example, showcases natural materials in different states of development and decay.

“One message the exhibition conveys is that there are many ways to express persona,” Statzer, the lead curator, said. “There is no one right way to do it.”

The exhibit was built with the intention of engaging the local community in discussions of social issues, lovell said. 

“The main idea behind the “Hindsight Insight” exhibitions is to highlight works in our museum’s art collection, while showcasing student and faculty work in context,” lovell said.

lovell’s focus in the development of the exhibit is in the section entitled “A Sense of Self: Performing Identity for the Camera.” Here, visitors can see photographs that span throughout the history of photography. 

“(lovell), grad assistant Ellan Luna and I worked closely together to select works that would reflect a diverse group of makers and subjects,” Statzer said. 

The majority of the photographs included in the exhibit are portraits that capture niches of human identity that, before the invention of the camera, were difficult to document, lovell said. 

An in-house photo studio for portraits provides an addition to the exhibit that allows visitors to interact personally with the exploration of identity, lovell and Statzer said. 

“Visitors are encouraged not only to explore the photographed storytelling by other artists, but to create their own portraits as well with the use of the in-exhibit mini photo studio,” Statzer said.

The exhibit encourages students and visitors to take advantage of the photo studio, whether they want to explore the image of their own identity or just enjoy the installation, lovell said. 

“(Visitors) are encouraged to show up in makeup (and) clothes and use expressions that convey their persona, or folks can simply stumble upon it and snap a selfie for fun,” lovell said. “The images taken on the (camera) in the studio are collected and displayed digitally on the LCD display screen outside of the museum, viewable during the hours the Popejoy building is open.”

Some of the student artwork included is courtesy of lovell and their colleague, Ellen Babcock’s, art practice classes. The work aims to “explore the ideas of persona in making an artwork as informed by the exhibition,” a posting at the exhibit reads. The reception will be held at UNMAM on Thursday, March 28. 

Jacobs is currently teaching a course titled Social Transformation Through Art in the Honors College and is a co-curator of “Eco-Pulse” on display within the exhibit, which showcases a collection of her students’ work alongside other artists, she said.

The “Eco-Pulse” section “explores the beauty, fragility and interconnections of the living world,” a posting at the exhibit reads. This section of the exhibit uses natural materials to tell stories about environmental struggle and change, and how it affects individualism.

“(My students will be) presenting their work in the museum as part of the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Conference,” Jacobs said. The event and its reception will be held on Friday, April 12.

The student artwork is displayed alongside established creators. By doing so, Statzer said the curators tried to create an environment where student artwork can be valued and appreciated, without separating them or drawing a distinction. 

“I want the students to feel empowered, not intimidated, by the space of the museum,” Statzer said. “This is their space and their collection (as well).”

Other pieces from the exhibit include portraits by Andy Warhol, which wordlessly explore different people and objects that convey individual identities. Other art displayed includes both early photography of historical figures and Jess Dugan’s exploration of sexuality in photography. 

With, lovell’s series of photographs entitled “DIYPI (Do It Yourself Private Investigation),” Statzer spoke about how lovell uses self-portrait photography to represent identity through gender expression.

“These photographs show us how malleable identity is and how one person can inhabit space differently as male or female-presenting. (lovell’s) photographs skillfully tap into gendered structures of power,” Statzer said.

Other highlights include “Her Eyes” by Lesley Dill and “Untitled” by Kiki Smith, Jacobs said.

“Both of these pieces use delicate materials to talk about the delicacy and sacredness of our connection to the living world,” she said. 

UNMAM has free admission and hosts many events that students are encouraged to visit.

“I want (students and visitors) to feel inspired by what they see here, but to also ask questions. I want them to know that their ideas and contributions are important and valued.” Statzer said. 

​​Sadie Hopkins is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com