vigil.jpg

Sophomore Jaidyn Domina stands among a crowd of about 75 people during a “life celebration” and candlelight vigil for recently deceased UNM freshman Daniel “Alex” Baker. Friends of Baker said he was found unconsciouas in his dorm room Sept. 17 following an attempted suicide and died last Thursday.

Deceased student mourned at vigil

Family and friends will mourn the loss of a student whose smile, they said, could light up the world.

A candlelight vigil was held at the Duck Pond Tuesday night in memory of 18-year-old UNM student Daniel “Alex” Baker, who passed away Thursday.

UNM student Jenna Hagengruber, who was a friend of Baker’s, said Baker’s roommate, Jaylen Davis, found Baker in his dorm room on Sept. 17.

Hagengruber said Baker was alone in his dorm room for about an hour and that he had hanged himself.

Hagengruber said Baker was rushed to the hospital and was pronounced brain dead on Thursday. She said Baker was pronounced dead later the same day, but that he was left on life support until Friday morning so that his heart and lungs could be harvested.

“They were pretty sure he wasn’t going to make it,” she said.
Hagengruber said Baker had suffered from depression before and that his depression peaked during his sophomore year of high school. She said Baker’s friends and family weren’t aware that his depression had since become worse.

“Sophomore year it was pretty bad, he was depressed and we didn’t really know a lot about it, but a lot of us talked to him,” she said. “We thought it had gotten better, but apparently it didn’t, but he always seemed fine.”

Hagengruber said Baker was known for making jokes and always having a smile on his face.

“Whenever anyone had a bad day he’d be the first person to come up to you and he would make a joke, he’d just be like ‘So what’s up your butt today?’ or something,” she said. “He was super sarcastic but he was always so sweet and so genuine. He had a contagious smile.”

UNM student Kayla Galetti said Baker was on the varsity soccer team at Eldorado High School and that he was outgoing and fun-loving. She said Baker was well-known for his unique laugh.

“Whenever he laughed, he laughed so hard and he’d throw his head back, he was really handsome,” she said. “He was so full of life and so genuine about everything and he was always there for everyone all of the time and we all loved him so much and we’re going to miss him so much.”

Davis, who shared a story about Baker at the vigil, said although Baker was popular among the ladies, he was a great friend and enjoyed talking to everyone.

“I came up here to show that he had more than just girl friends — he did like talking to both sides, just sayin’,” he said. “I’ve known Alex (Baker) for five years and it was great knowing him.”