1/24_wbball

UNM Redshirt senior forward Deeva Vaughn goes up for two against Fresno State defenders last Saturday at the Pit. UNM lost to Fresno State 75-73.

Women's Basketball: Road game losses are adding up

@LiamCE

The road woes continued for the New Mexico women’s basketball team Wednesday night at Boise State.

Once again turnovers plagued the Lobos as they had 16 in a 74-60 loss against the Broncos at Taco Bell Arena. UNM has yet to win a regular season road game.

Head coach Yvonne Sanchez said the team still has some kinks to work out defensively and with ball protection as well with shooting.

“They were 10 of 19 from the three,” Sanchez said in an article on golobos.com. “That’s why we have to guard better. We are not a 3-point shooting team.  It’s OK if you’re not a 3-point shooting team, but you have to find other areas (to score).”

The Lobos (7-10, 2-4 Mountain West) were just 1 for 6 from beyond the arc and were unable to keep pace with Boise State (9-8, 4-2 MW). Despite their lack of 3-point shooting, redshirt junior guard Antiesha Brown had no problem scoring as she had the team high 18 points on 8 of 17 shots.

Redshirt senior forward Deeva Vaughn was the only other player to score in double digits as she put up 13 points in the loss.

Redshirt senior guard Sara Halasz was within spitting distance of a double-double, scoring eight points along with eight rebounds.

Sanchez said she was concerned with the amount of turnovers that her crew committed, which is an area that has been a struggle all season.

“We had 16 turnovers and nine assists. That’s awful,” Sanchez said. “But we went to the line 22 times and I’m proud of my kids for that. We had some positives.”

UNM was 14 of 22 from the charity stripe while the Broncos were only eight of 15 from the free throw line. Sanchez said that the previous games losses have all been difficult.

“It’s a tough loss and they are all tough losses,” Sanchez said. “It’s frustrating for everybody.”

UNM dropped to 7-10 on the season and is only 2-4 in conference play.

The Lobos’ next test will be Colorado State Rams at home on Saturday at 6 p.m. CSU (13-4) is tied atop the MW with UNLV, each having a record of 5-1 in conference.

The Rams have won nine of their last 10 games with their only loss coming at Fresno State, a 60-50 decision.

CSU has four players who average double digits — in forward Sam Martin (12.1), guard Caitlin Duffey (12.0), forward Elin Gustavsson (10.4) and guard AJ Newton.

CSU beat UNM earlier in the year in Fort Collins 62-50 in the Lobos’ conference opener. However, UNM has performed well against CSU in the past with a 39-30 overall record against the Rams.

Women’s Basketball vs. Colorado State
Saturday, January 25
6 p.m.
The Pit