Liam Cary-Eaves

Jeff Nelson address the team during a timeout against Air Force
Sports

Volleyball: Lack of fight leads to loss aganist Fresno

After opening up conference play with a win, New Mexico has stumbled its past three matches and finds itself towards the bottom of the standings early in Mountain West play. Fresno State (10-5, 1-3 MW) needed just three sets to send UNM home and back to the drawing board after a 3-0 sweep on Saturday afternoon. “I just think it’s gut-check time,” head coach Jeff Nelson said in a release. “We were 10-4 and now we’re 10-7.”

Junior midfielder Claire Lynch charges Air Force's net Sunday Sept. 25, 2016 at the UNM Soccer Complex. The Lobos faced off with San Jose State this past Friday and defeated them 3-1. 
Sports

Women's Soccer: Lobos get first MW win on road over SJSU

Head coach Heather Dyche said she was looking for leadership from UNM’s offense. She got more than one leader in Friday afternoon’s 3-1 victory over San Jose State. Dyche has said she thought her squad was too timid in the final third of the soccer field and said someone had to take control in the Lobo attack.

Mariessa Carrasco attempts to dink the ball over the net against
Sports

Volleyball: Lobos unable to finish off SJSU, lose in 5 sets

After a quick start, the Lobos couldn’t finish the job in a 3-2 loss to San Jose State in San Jose, California on Thursday night. It appeared things were going smoothly for New Mexico (10-6, 1-2 MW), who started the first Mountain West road match of the season with 25-21 and 26-24 wins in the first two sets. However, after intermission, the Lobos ran out of steam, and UNM dropped the next three sets.

Victoria SPragg finsihes a spike against Air Force on September
Sports

Volleyball: Lobos to face two tough California teams over the weekend

With two starters on the New Mexico bench, the Lobos will look to steal a couple victories on the team’s trip to California. UNM is coming off a split in its first two conference home games of the year, winning the opener 3-0 against Air Force on Sept. 22, and dropping a 3-2 series to Boise State on Saturday. “Considering where we’re at, it wasn’t a bad weekend,” Nelson said. “We feel like we should’ve gotten both wins, but we’re playing down two starters.”

Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Mariessa Carrasco prepares for a kill against Nebraska University on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016 at WisePies Arena. The Lobos will begin conference play against Air Force on Friday in Johnson Center.
Sports

Volleyball: Lobos enter conference play 4th in MW

If New Mexico has taken anything away from non-conference play, it’s that the Mountain West title is wide open and up for grabs. Everyone begins conference play with the same 0-0 record, but there have been some changes on how the Mountain West is stacking up this year. For starters, powerhouse Colorado State (6-5) has already lost more games than the squad lost all last season when the Rams were 26-4 and 18-0 in MW play.

Senior outside hitter Cassie House, 12, celebrates with teammates after scoring against Nebraska on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016 at WisePies Arena. UNM won three out of its four games this weekend at the UT Arlington Invitational.
Sports

Volleyball: Lobos come back from loss to finish 3-1

New Mexico had a long day on Saturday, splitting its final doubleheader of the year while taking both non-conference matches the full five sets. UNM (9-4) couldn’t quite close things out in a 3-2 loss to Samford for the morning contest. After dropping the first set 25-21, the Lobos rebounded to take sets two and three with 25-17 and 25-22 scores, respectively.

More articles »

PHOTO

Gov. Susana Martinez greets supporters after giving a re-election victory speech Tuesday night at the Albuquerque Marriott.

More media »