Sports briefs

Men’s Soccer

After a scoreless first spring outing last week, the New Mexico men blanked Denver University in its second exhibition game with a 3-0 win in Taos.

All three goals came in the second half, the first in the 49th minute from James Rogers off a Christopher Wehan assist. Rene Reyes scored the Lobos’ second goal, his first in a UNM uniform, at the 66th minute with a Niko Hansen assist. Josh Goss added one more goal with eight seconds on the clock from an Oniel Fisher assist.

UNM goalkeeper James Schneebeck made one save in his first career appearance.

“The guys brought a lot of energy and got some nice individual goals,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. “Collectively, I thought our defense, pressure and communication were really strong. We are continuing to work on getting better every week, and now we are excited for our next match at home.”

That next match takes place this Saturday at the Robertson Practice Fields, located next to the UNM Soccer Complex, when the Lobos host Air Force at 10:30 a.m..

On Saturday, the team announced Fishbein earned a two-year extension on his contract, keeping him at UNM through the 2019 season. Fishbein, the program’s winningest coach, led the Lobos to their second-straight College Cup semifinals this past season.

Fishbein’s previous contract states that the coach makes $106,900 in base salary.

Track and Field

Some UNM distance runners set strong marks at the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, Calif., while several other athletes competed at the Texas Tech Open in Lubbock, Texas.

Adam Bitchell set UNM’s ninth-best 10,000 meter time with a time of 28 minutes, 50.43 seconds, competing in his first race at that distance. Patrick Zacharias also set the Lobos 11th-best mark in his second collegiate 10K, in 29:02.15. At Stanford they placed 18th and 30th overall, respectively.

Also in Stanford, Charlotte Arter took fifth in the 1,500 with a time of 4:19.46 and Elmar Engholm was ninth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 8:50.35.

At Texas Tech, Richard York won the men’s javelin throw with a mark of 195 feet, 4 inches, just ahead of Marcus Simon’s throw of 190-8.

Logan Pflibsen cleared 16-1 3/4 for second in the pole vault, while Annie Stirling and Emily Heisler both leaped 12-2 to finished second and sixth, respectively, based on number of attempts.

Charles Lewis clocked a 400-meter time of 52.64 for fourth place.

Women’s Tennis

The Lobos improved their Mountain West record to 3-1 after completing a 5-2 victory over Wyoming on Sunday. Dominique Dulski clinched the dual for UNM with her win at the No. 5 singles spot.

The Sunday win followed a 7-0 shutout over Colorado State on Friday, where the Lobos lost only one double match.

The UNM men’s team competed at UNLV on Sunday, but those results were not available by deadline.