J.R. Oppenheim

The Lobo bench erupts in celebration as a shot was made against Boise State at WisePies Arena. Head coach Craig Neal held his end-of-season press conference this week, saying his young team gained valuable experience this season.
Sports

Men's Basketball: Lobos grew during up-and-down season, Neal says

The youth and inexperience on this year’s New Mexico men’s basketball team became a consistent thread throughout the season. Almost every time head coach Craig Neal met with the media, he made mention to it. Moving forward, Neal said, the Lobos won’t be able to rely on the youth theme next year. Simply put, he said they can’t.

Redshirt sophomore guard Elijah Brown attempts to cross a San Jose State player at WisePies Arena. Head basketball coach Craig Neal said in his end of season press conference Tuesday afternoon that Brown will attempt to garner interest from the NBA  ahead of the draft this year.  
Sports

Men's Basketball: Brown to enter NBA draft, could pull out and return to Lobos

Like many Lobo players before him, shooting guard Elijah Brown will see if he has what it takes to jump to the NBA level. However, the junior-to-be could still maintain his eligibility with the Lobos if that route doesn’t pan out at this time. New Mexico head coach Craig Neal, at his end-of-season press conference Tuesday, announced Brown, who had a breakout first season with the Lobos, will put his name into the NBA draft scheduled for June 23.

The Setonian
Sports

Softball: Lobos sweep UTEP in doubleheader

The New Mexico softball team improved to 13-8 on the season with a doubleheader sweep over UTEP Tuesday in El Paso, Texas. The Lobos jumped ahead early in the first game behind a six-run opening inning that included three straight hits.

Redshirt sophomore guard Cullen Neal picks up a out of bounds ball Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016 at WisePies Arena.
Sports

Men's Basketball: Cullen Neal to transfer from UNM

In a season filled with criticism from one segment of the New Mexico fan base, point guard Cullen Neal will transfer from the University, the Athletic Department announced in a email sent Monday morning. The announcement followed a tumultuous run for Neal in his redshirt sophomore campaign.

Freshman outfielder Brooke Breeland (27) slides into home plate Saturday afternoon at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos swept Northern Colorado this past weekend out of three game series.
Sports

Softball: Lobos secure sweep in home openers

So much for the New Mexico softball team needing come-from-behind victories this weekend. The Lobos offense struck early in its home-opening series and held leads to the end. Previously this season, the Lobos had allowed their opponents the first run in 12 games, but UNM scored first in all three of its games against Northern Colorado Saturday and Sunday, resulting in a sweep over the Bears. The Lobos’ offensive output led to final scores of 7-3, 8-3 and 10-1.

Senior outfielder Mariah Rimmer slides into third base Saturday afternoon at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos beat Northern Colorado in their first out of two game series 7-3.
Sports

Softball: Lobos open home slate with two wins

The New Mexico softball team captured two wins in a home-opening doubleheader against Northern Colorado on Saturday afternoon. The Lobos (10-7) struck first in both games, resulting in a 7-3 victory in Game One and a 8-3 win in the second contest.

Redshirt junior forward Tim Williams reaches up towards the net Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at WisePies Arena. The Lobos will play Nevada Thursday, March 10 for the Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Sports

Men's Basketball: Lobos get fourth seed for MW tourney

New Mexico heads into the Mountain West Basketball Championships as the fourth seed following the Lobos' 71-66 victory over Nevada Saturday night in Reno, Nevada. The Lobos were assured at least a sixth seed heading into the regular-season finale, but San Diego State's 92-56 rout over UNLV ensured UNM would receive a first-round bye.

Freshman guard/forward Dane Kuiper (14) and senior guard Tim Jacobs (25) try to defend a San Diego State player Tuesday night at WisePies Arena. The Lobos will play Nevada this Saturday in Reno at 8 p.m.
Sports

Men's Basketball: Lobos will get either fourth, fifth or sixth seed for MW tourney

The Lobos’ Mountain West tournament scenarios are simple: should San Diego State beat UNLV, the outcome of Saturday’s New Mexico-Nevada contest will determine what colors those teams will wear in a rematch next week. UNM will finish either fourth, fifth or sixth in the Mountain West standings regardless of any other outcome in this weekend’s regular-season finale. As long as the Aztecs beat the Runnin’ Rebels, UNM and Nevada will jockey for the fourth or fifth seeds.

Junior Shelbie Franc makes a play during the Lobos first practice Feb. 8, 2016 at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos will play their first home game this Saturday against Northern Colorado at 1 p.m.
Sports

Softball: After three tournaments, Lobos open home slate this weekend

After three straight out-of-state tournaments, the New Mexico softball team gets its first taste of home competition this weekend. The Lobos (8-7) host Northern Colorado for its home opener after playing in events in Arizona and California to open the season. Saturday’s doubleheader begins at 1 p.m. with one more game in the series Sunday at 10 a.m.

Head basketball coach Craig Neal calls out a play to his players during their games against Boise State Feb. 17, 2016 at WisePies Arena. Neal said during a press conference Thursday afternoon that recent criticism has affected the Lobos performance. 
Sports

Men's Basketball: Criticism affecting team's play, coach says

As criticism continues to mount against Craig Neal and the New Mexico Lobos, especially on this current four-game losing streak, the negativity seems to be taking its toll on player performance. Neal said Thursday afternoon that he’s sensed some of the external noise about the team and references to the coach being “on the hot seat” has affected his players. Several players are active on Twitter, so it’s often difficult to avoid the comments, he said.

More articles »

PHOTO

New Mexico's Cullen Neal, center, collects the ball under pressure from Obij Aget, left, under pressure from Joe Fursdinger during practice Tuesday afternoon at the Rudy Davalos Basketball Center. The Lobos released the schedule for the upcoming season on Tuesday, one that features games against seven NCAA tournament participants.

PHOTO

Womens head coach Yvonne Sanchez and UNM guard Jayda Bovero encourage the team during its match on Nov 29. The NCAA has approved a change from two 20-minute halves to four 10-minute quarters for the womens upcoming basketball season.

PHOTO

New Mexico football player Devonta Tabannah shakes hands with UNM athletic director Paul Krebs after a defensive stop in the Nov. 29 home finale against Wyoming. Krebs announced Thursday the Athletic Department will provide full cost of attendance as part of student athletes scholarships. The scholarships will now include course fees, academic-related supplies and other necessities in addition to the tuition and fees, room and board and books awarded under the current scholarships.

PHOTO

New Mexico senior guard Hugh Greenwood high-fives fans as he walks off the court for the last time Wednesday afternoon at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. The Lobos lost to the Falcons in the Mountain West Basketball Championships for the first time since Greenwood joined the team in 2011-12.

PHOTO

New Mexicos Khadijah Shumpert wipes her face as she and Boise States Miquella Askew await a free throw attempt during the second half of the Mountain West Basketball Championship game Friday afternoon at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

PHOTO

New Mexico head coach Yvonne Sanchez calls a play for her team late in the first half as Alexa Chavez checks into the game during the Mountain West Basketball Championship game Friday afternoon at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

PHOTO

New Mexico’s Khadijah Shumpert wipes her face as she and Boise State’s Miquella Askew await a free throw attempt during the second half of the Mountain West Basketball Championship game Friday afternoon at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Lobos lost 66-60.

PHOTO

New Mexico senior guard Hugh Greenwood high-fives fans as he walks off the Thomas & Mack Center floor Wednesday afternoon, moments after the Lobos lost to Air Force 68-61 in the Mountain West Basketball Championship opening round.

More media »