Sports briefs for March 23, 2015

Softball

UNM needed only six innings of play to take the rubber match from Utah State 12-2 on Sunday.

Junior pitcher Lauren Soles threw a gem, with the fifth inning as her only blemish, allowing two runs on four hits in her second complete game of the season.

New Mexico’s offense provided plenty of firepower against Utah State (9-19, 1-2 MW), slugging six homers in Sunday’s contest. Junior outfielder Mariah Rimmer led the way in an eight-run sixth inning, crushing a solo-shot to left field and a three-run homer to collect all four of her RBIs on the day.

Redshirt junior infielder Karissa Haleman also had two solo-blasts on the day, while sophomore shortstop Michala Erickson plated four Lobos in her two-hit performance.

After dropping the opening game of the series, head coach Erica Beach’s Lobos took the final two on the road in Logan, Utah. She collected her 100th win as head coach for UNM (18-13, 2-1 MW) in an 8-7 victory over the Aggies on Saturday.

Women’s tennis

In the final non-conference event of the season, the No. 41 Lobos faltered against the Tulane Green Wave, dropping the duel 4-2.

Naz Karagoz and Sade Atkinson defeated Emily Olivier and Natasha Smith in the No. 1 doubles spot 6-3. The No. 3 spot went to Tulane Green as well after Ipek Birol and Jacqui Katz defeated Susan Baklini and Sharon Coone 6-1, making the No. 2 spot an unfinished match.

UNM (10-7, 1-0 MW) took the No. 1 spot in single play as Smith beat Birol 6-4, followed by a 6-1 performance. Olivier took home a victory in the No. 2 spot for the Lobos, finishing both sets 6-4.

Tulane (13-7) won from the No. 4 spot down, making the Meredith Hopson’s third and final set an undecided match as well.

New Mexico will return home on April 2 to take on Utah State.