Byron Herrington conducts the New Mexico Philharmonic during Breaking Boo on Saturday Oct. 25, 2014 at Popejoy Hall. Attending Popejoy Hall events is one of the perks of being a UNM lobo.

Being a Lobo: Top perks just for being a Lobo

Attending UNM can often mean hard work, late-night studying and other sacrifices. All of that hard work, however, is balanced by the many perks of being a Lobo. Here are 10 of them, most of which are located within walking distance of UNM’s main campus:

Food

Arby’s, a fast food restaurant, offers a 10 percent discount to UNM students at its store located on 3326 Central Ave SE, (505) 255-3009.

Amore Neapolitan Pizzeria, located at 2929 Monte Vista Boulevard NE, offers a 10 percent discount to UNM students. (505)554-1967.

The locally owned Donut Mart offers UNM students a 10 percent discount at all Albuquerque locations. The location at 1916 Central Avenue SE is conveniently located across from UNM’s main campus. (505)292-6278.

Cheba Hut, a marijuana-themed sandwich shop, has a special for UNM students offered on Mondays. With the purchase of a sandwich, a student will receive free chips and a drink. Cheba Hut is located at 115 Harvard Drive SE, (505) 232-2432.

Entertainment

Popejoy Hall offers a variety of entertainment options, including “Broadway in New Mexico” shows and “Ovation” (non-Broadway) shows. Season tickets and renewals are available for purchase today. The package price is reduced by almost 50 percent for UNM students purchasing online or in person with a valid ID. The University offsets the difference in cost through the UNM Student Fee Review Board, so the offer is only available while funds last. Additionally, many Ovation shows offer students an approximate 40 percent discount on up to two tickets. These shows can be purchased in-person at the UNM ticket office. Students must present valid student ID and are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours. Popejoy Hall is located on the UNM Campus at 203 Cornell Drive SE. (505) 277-8010.

UNM Ticketing Services has consistently offered tickets to UNM athletic events to students at a discounted — or, in some cases, free — rate in the past, with the option to purchase additional tickets at a discounted rate. The upcoming Lobo football season begins on Sept. 5, and student disbursement dates and rates will be announced in the near future. The main ticket office is located at 1111 University Boulevard SE. There is also an office on campus just outside the UNM bookstore. (505) 925-5858.

Cliff’s Amusement Park offers a 20 percent discount to UNM students. Tickets can be purchased online at cliffsamusementpark.com using the promo or fund code “unmcampus”. The amusement park is located at 4800 Osuna Road NE. (505) 881-9373

Fitness

Johnson Center, located on UNM’s main campus, is a shared facility that offers educational courses, recreational services and a gymnasium including a weight room and pool. Students are able to access the facility for free with their student ID. Hours vary by semester. (505) 277-0178.

Music

Outpost Performance Space is located near the main campus at 210 Yale Boulevard SE. UNM Students are offered tickets at a discounted rate equal to that of member pricing. The ticket office is open from 2:00 to 5:30 p.m., and one hour prior to show start times. “Student rush” discounts are also offered if there are available tickets 10 minutes before show time. Some exceptions and restrictions apply. (505) 268-0044.

Miscellaneous

The UNM Bookstore is issuing a 30-percent-off coupon to incoming students during new student orientation. The bookstore also confirmed the “Game Day Friday” promotion will begin Aug 28. Students can purchase Lobo spirit items such as supplies, mugs and t-shirts with the Lobo logo for 25 percent off. The bookstore is located on the main campus at 2301 Central Ave SE. (505)277-5451.

Robert Maler is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.