Eugene Canal

Eugene Canal

Athletic Department tabs new associate director of communications

New Mexico announced on Thursday the hiring of Eugene Canal as the new associate director of communications for UNM.

Canal spent the past several years at Nova Southeastern University in Davie, Florida. He will handle media relations at UNM for the men’s basketball program and the women’s soccer program.

After the Lobo Howl, Canal will begin his duties. He takes over for the departed Matt Ensor, who left to become the men’s basketball sports information director at the University of Arizona.

“We had a tremendous pool of candidates and we made a lot of calls around the country talking to people, and Gene’s name kept coming up,” Frank Mercogliano, assistant athletic director for communications said in a statment. “I think he will do a great job with our local and nationally media for men’s basketball, and for women’s soccer as well. I’m looking forward to Gene and his wife Jordan joining our Lobo family.”

At Nova Southeastern University, Canal was the manager of athletic communications for the past four years. He handled media relations and promotion for the men’s basketball team, men’s soccer, rowing, cross country and track and field.

“I am excited to join the Lobos athletic program and help cover the illustrious men's basketball program, as well as the women's soccer program,” Canal said in the statement. “I want to thank Frank Mercogliano, coach Craig Neal, coach Heather Dyche and the rest of the staff for giving me this opportunity. I look forward to working with UNM's accomplished student-athletes and helping the department develop Lobos 4 Life.”

Mercogliano will be the women’s soccer sports information director for the rest of the year.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.