Lobo running back Richard McQuarley dives into the end zone during their game against NMSU Saturday Oct. 3, 2015. UNM beat out NMSU 38-29 and play Oct. 10 in Reno.

Football: Lobos look for third straight win

It’s time for New Mexico to see if it can handle the rest of the Mountain West.

The Lobos are already 1-0 in the conference after winning 38-28 at Wyoming two weeks ago. UNM heads into the rest of the Mountain West slate with a two-game winning streak, something it hasn’t done in a single season since 2012.

Even with all that on UNM’s side, history says that the Lobos (3-2) are due to fall back to reality. UNM hasn’t won two or more conference games since 2008 and the team is just 5-20 in Mountain West play since Davie became head coach in 2012.It’s time for New Mexico to see if it can handle the rest of the Mountain West.

Even with all that on UNM’s side, history says that the Lobos (3-2) are due to fall back to reality. UNM hasn’t won two or more conference games since 2008 and the team is just 5-20 in Mountain West play since Bob Davie became head coach in 2012.

If UNM wins at Nevada this Saturday, it will be the first time the Lobos have ever started out 2-0 in the Mountain West. The Wolf Pack are just 5-point favorites over the visiting Lobos in Mackey Stadium.

“Handling winning a game, being mature enough to realize now that the competition gets stronger and better as we get into the core of the Mountain West conference and understanding how we win and what we are,” Davie said. “Just how precise we have to be, how we have to work for everything we get, and most of all how we have to improve. We have to get better.”

Nevada uses running backs James Butler and Dom Jackson as one-two punch for its pistol offense. Both tailbacks have over 400 rushing yards on the year and both average at least 5 yards a carry.

If the Wolf Pack (2-3, 0-1 MW) are able to outrush their opponents it usually results in a win. Nevada is 2-0 this year when outrushing the opposition and are 11-2 under head coach Brian Polian when it happens.

“I think everybody has a common thread through it offensively now,” Davie said. “A lot of offenses now are somewhat similar, particularly in the running game. They are very similar in some ways to when (former Nevada coach) Chris Ault was there, running a true pistol.”

If the Lobos are able to stifle the Wolf Pack’s run game, it will be the first time UNM has won three-straight games since 2007. That was also the last time the program went to a bowl game.

“For us I think it’s probably pretty significant,” Davie said. “I don’t know what the date would be if you went back and checked it, but I imagine it was a few years ago. It’s hard to win one, let alone win three. But we are going to give it a shot and try.”

Lobos change kickers

Senior Zach Rogers will have more to worry about than punts.

Davie announced this week that Rogers will take over on field goal attempts, replacing kicker Jason Sanders.

Rogers lost the kicking job in camp this fall to Sanders. Rogers was the field goal kicker last year and went 5 of 8.

“Sander’s got a canon for a leg but he has missed four field goals in the last three games and Rogers he can make those field goals,” Davie said. “He’s dependable. He’s not the home run, but he can hit the single and get you on base. I hate to do it, but it is something we have to do right now.”

Sanders is just 3 for 7 on field goals this season. He missed two field goals against New Mexico State, a 29 yarder and a 42 yarder.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter.