Sophomore outfielder Luis Gonzalez slides back into first base to save himself from being tagged out Sunday afternoon at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos...

Baseball: New Mexico drops Nevada series on senior day

For just the second time all season, the Lobos dropped a conference series and are now at risk of losing a share of the Mountain West crown.

Even with a loss at UNLV on Sunday afternoon, the Fresno State Bulldogs will at least own part of the conference title, while UNM must fight for at least a piece of first after falling to Nevada 13-9 on Sunday.

New Mexico Sunday starter Carson Schneider had yet another rough outing on the hill, his third in a row. The junior couldn’t make it out of the fourth inning, allowing 10 runs (8 earned), on 10 hits, a pair of walks while throwing 85 pitches.

Things looked gloomy for UNM from the start as Schneider allowed five runs in the first two innings pitched. However, the Lobos came blazing back, as the squad has been known to do from time to time, with a five-run second inning to put the ballgame back to a tie.

The second inning scoring parade started with Andre Pratt hitting a sacrifice fly with the bases juiced, putting UNM on the board for the first time in the game. Senior Dalton Bowers wouldn’t leave the runners stranded as he belted a shot over the left field wall.

With a 5-4 score, Nevada went to the bullpen after starter Trenton Brooks walked UNM centerfielder Luis Gonzalez. Senior Jared Holley then chanelled the wind and what looked like a routine fly ball, ended up soaring over Keaten Smith, Nevada’s leftfielder.

The Lobos then took the lead, the following inning when an Andre Vigil single scored Zoellner facilitated the first UNM lead of the day.

However, it was short lived.

UNM ran into more trouble in the top half of the fourth inning as the Wolfpack put up a five-spot of their own in the top of the frame, switching the lead back in their favor for the final time of the ballgame.

Junior Chris DeVito tried to mend the bleeding a bit when he hit a no-doubter over the right field wall to bring UNM within three, 10-7.

Luis Gonzalez then brought the game within two runs with his RBI single, but that was as close as the Lobos would get.

While the Lobos have trended downward to the end of the season, Nevada has woken up winning 12 of its last 13 contests, and now also shares the same record as New Mexico (18-9 MW).

Both Nevada and New Mexico must now complete sweeps in their next conference series, in order to knot-up the three way tie atop the league.

Though the Lobos did end senior day on a sour note, it won't be the last time UNM's seniors will play on Santa Ana Star Field. New Mexico is playing host to the Mountain West Tournament set for Memorial Day weekend.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.